Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Clearance Machines >

Walmart Clearance Machines

Walmart Clearance Machines

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I've had 3 Brother machines. The first one came from Walmart. I had it serviced at an authorized Brother dealer, but she did tell me that not all will do it.

How can they be sure where you bought it?
Every dealership has a database with customer names and machine serial numbers....

Personally, and this is probably not what you're going for but I'd buy a vintage machine that will last forever for $25-$50 and buy fabric with the rest.

What is a vintage machine?
:thumbup:
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ladyredhawk
I am not able to say anything about Brother, I'm a Kenmore and singer my self.
I bought a kenmore serger and the manual is identical to the janome (probably 10 years ago).it had a box of extra stuff and a catcher for threads the janomi did not give. The price was a bit less for the kenmore. I have had a kenmore sewing machine a long time and only needed a tune up once.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by bakermom
Originally Posted by bakermom
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/warra...em_id=14237606

These machines come with a warrenty. I don't believe an authorized repair person can refuse warrenty work.
Now if something's not covered you may have to ship it back to Brother for repair.
http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/C...Embroidery.pdf
I was thinking that too. If they were nice enough to help me with service, I would be nice enough to buy from them.

Yes, anyone can refuse to repair a machine. Happens all the time. Or the cost of the repair is more than the machine cost originally.
not necesarily. If they are an authorized repair shop the manufacturer authorized to do their warrenty work and they refuse, the company can remove their "authorized" status. If an authorized repairman refuses, contact the company, they will set them straight.
Been there, done that.
We will have to agree to disagree then. Yes a dealer that is authorized and must fix machines they've SOLD. If they did not sell the machine they are under no obligation to repair it. Most will to try to get repeat business, but many will not. That's why buying machines over the internet and at big box stores can be such a hassle. Warrantee work is basically for free as the dealer is not receiving any money for their labor or parts, so they don't do this for free for everyone and many times refuse to work on warrantee machines they haven't sold. One of the first questions my dealer asks is "Was the machine purchased here.."

Regardless, and to stay on topic, I'd buy the machine that got the highest consumer ratings over the other.
I think they are fools, because this is the way they could bring in good customers to their businesses. Just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by MissBarbQuilts
So, what are you going to do with the Baby Lock? I have two Baby Locks (Ellageo and Design Pro), a Singer Simple ($99 on sale at JoAnn's) that I travel with, and a Pink 1951 Atlas. They are all great machines and they all get used.
Oh I'm keeping it. I can use a back up machine. I may end up having two projects going on and figure which I want to sew first. :)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM

I own four brother machines and three have been bought from Walmart. I have had them for years and have had no problem with them, they are very dependable machines. Sure you will love whichever one you choose. Bought a refurbished computerized Brother machines on eBay and love it also. Works great.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 AM

I wouldn't buy either. First of all 25% isn't enough of a discount. It needs to be 50% or more off. Shoot, I got a NIB Janome for $30 last month.
You can buy a much better machine 2nd hand if you're going to spend over $100. Or buy from a more reputable store.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Auntie B
I work in our local Sewing Machine Sales/Repair/ LQS. I see machines come in from different stores. Walmart doesn't have any kind of repairs, customers come to us to have a $74.95 tune-up done on a $70 machine from Walmart. We work on all makes and models. But the customer is mad because the tune up costs more than the machine. Our shop doesn't charge to look at the machine, to see if a tune up will fix it, but the customer is not happy to hear that their machine is full of plastic parts, and cannot be repaired. The machine is just one step above a toy sewing machine. Our shop sells Pfaff and Janome, which comes with a one year warranty, our shop adds and additional 2 years of warranty, and throws in a cleaning, tune up, check timing, needle threaders and etc each year for free. Don't buy the Brother machines from London Drugs, they sell reconditioned Brother models that have been returned to Brother, and get sold there at discount prices, with no warranty. Whatever you buy, I would make sure you get warranty work and service, without paying for shipping and handling to get work done. Good luck, and check carefully. Maybe save your money a little longer and upgrade to a better machine. Just had to share, good luck with your choice. Auntie B
Interesting information Auntie B! I am wondering what internal parts are made of plastic? The cheapy Brother I am using is plastic on the outside - but, the bobbin case is metal and everything I can see by peering inside seems metal. Are there moving parts inside the housing? Thanks for helping!!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 AM

I went to my local Walmart Friday and bought the $154 Brother. Came home, unpacked it, tried it......liked the needle-threading feature......good stitch quality.....but the work area between needle and neck of machine seemed so small...and the machine was so light......could be picked up with two fingers almost. I now have a Viking #1 Plus which is much heavier...and it sometimes skootches when I am working on piecing together a large quilt....can't imagine this little thing staying in one place.....So, the next morning I carefully packed it all back into its box and took it back to Walmart....no problem.......I convinced myself I really did not need another sewing machine...I have a really basic Singer for backup to Viking...and when V really dies, then I will shop around.......that's my story.....But, let me say, if I were looking for a sewing machine this one would have been on the list, even with its few drawbacks......the differences were workable, in my case, anyway.