Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Clearance Machines >

Walmart Clearance Machines

Walmart Clearance Machines

Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1
The SQ9000 comes with a 1/4" foot, but I bought the Brother 1/4" piecing foot with a guide.

It really helps me to get an accurate 1/4" seam.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...essoryID=SA185

Elise
Yep, that is the foot I bought also. Just love it!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 AM

I am not able to say anything about Brother, I'm a Kenmore and singer my self.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 AM

I have bought several machines from Walmart and not regretted one of them. I do tend toward the Brother Machines because I know they are a good quality machine. You should definitely take advantage of the buy. I just bought the $200 machine (quilters edition) and love it. It is as good as my Viking at a much lower price. I wouldn't worry about buying at Walmart because they didn't make the machine, they are just retailing it for the manufacturer.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
I know some don't or won't purchase a Walmart machine, but, to those who would purchase, I have a dilemma.

My Walmart is moving some machines out because they are going to be bringing new ones in. So they are really marked down for clearance and one is the Brother 80 stitch that is normally 199.99.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-80...chine/14237606

It is marked down to 154.00.

There is also the Brother Project Runway which normally sells for 149.00. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...chine/14237605

Marked down to 109.00

Which one is the best deal. I'm leaning toward the 80 stitch due to the table it comes with. But, the Project Runway is consumer's Digest Best Buy and would save me a few dollars when money is tight.

I honestly think you will be happier longer if you go for the 80 stitch machine. I have been a Brother owner for years and never regretted purchasing another from brother.
Oh right now I have a 10 year plus Baby Lock Proline with like 20 stitches. Never ever had a problem with it, I just want one that does a bit more and it is time to upgrade.
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Some repair people should not be in that business, others will repair anything and just over charge. If I bought an inexpensive machine I would just trash it if I couldn't get it repaired. Mine cost too much for that.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Make sure the machine has not be reconditioned. I bought one from Walmart several years ago and when I wanted to change the foot to a quarter in foot. It would'nt line up right.
Found out the shaft was bent. It had been a few yrs since I purchased to machine so had no receipt they wouldn't make it good.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM

I work in our local Sewing Machine Sales/Repair/ LQS. I see machines come in from different stores. Walmart doesn't have any kind of repairs, customers come to us to have a $74.95 tune-up done on a $70 machine from Walmart. We work on all makes and models. But the customer is mad because the tune up costs more than the machine. Our shop doesn't charge to look at the machine, to see if a tune up will fix it, but the customer is not happy to hear that their machine is full of plastic parts, and cannot be repaired. The machine is just one step above a toy sewing machine. Our shop sells Pfaff and Janome, which comes with a one year warranty, our shop adds and additional 2 years of warranty, and throws in a cleaning, tune up, check timing, needle threaders and etc each year for free. Don't buy the Brother machines from London Drugs, they sell reconditioned Brother models that have been returned to Brother, and get sold there at discount prices, with no warranty. Whatever you buy, I would make sure you get warranty work and service, without paying for shipping and handling to get work done. Good luck, and check carefully. Maybe save your money a little longer and upgrade to a better machine. Just had to share, good luck with your choice. Auntie B
Old 07-03-2011, 06:51 PM

So, what are you going to do with the Baby Lock? I have two Baby Locks (Ellageo and Design Pro), a Singer Simple ($99 on sale at JoAnn's) that I travel with, and a Pink 1951 Atlas. They are all great machines and they all get used.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 PM

i have the table thing and never use it
Originally Posted by reeskylr
I know some don't or won't purchase a Walmart machine, but, to those who would purchase, I have a dilemma.

My Walmart is moving some machines out because they are going to be bringing new ones in. So they are really marked down for clearance and one is the Brother 80 stitch that is normally 199.99.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-80...chine/14237606

It is marked down to 154.00.

There is also the Brother Project Runway which normally sells for 149.00. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...chine/14237605

Marked down to 109.00

Which one is the best deal. I'm leaning toward the 80 stitch due to the table it comes with. But, the Project Runway is consumer's Digest Best Buy and would save me a few dollars when money is tight.

Oh right now I have a 10 year plus Baby Lock Proline with like 20 stitches. Never ever had a problem with it, I just want one that does a bit more and it is time to upgrade.
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Jim

I have a Brother Project Runway and have used it as my main machine for two yrs now and its a great machine