View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 PM
k_jupiter

Welcome.

First off, if I can do it, you can too. I is a man. *L*

Second, the board is great. More info and experience than you can shake a stick at.

Third (OK, OK, I am an engineer, I like numbers). start simple. Turn20, Yellow Brick Road, Rail Fence are all great patterns for you to master first. If ya make a mistake, no one will notice but you and the time factor will let you get a quilt done fast.

Fourthly, next do a quilt in a day by Ellenor Burns. Perhaps the simple but elegant Log Cabin in an 'all sevens' or 'barn raising' pattern. You will learn so much on how to make short cuts that make the piecing go faster.

Fifth ( I always like that number) Ignore when magazine articles tell you how to do a pattern. When it says "Cut out 272 10cm squares of each of the first seven fabrics"... someone has no clue. There is a better way.

Sixth - Make a quilt for yourself. It is always inspiration to make quilts for others when you are looking at your own handiwork. It's even better if you are snuggled up underneath one of your own quilts with a quilting book, magazine, or partner who supports your habit.

tim in san jose