Old 07-14-2011, 05:44 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Yes, I've seen some of those as I've googled around ... there's a bit of confusion as there are two different types.

"Passage" quilt has more relevance to passage meaning passage from life. Often time made from old clothing of the one who is dying or deceased.

This time ... "Passage" is empasis on the passage (aka hallway) as the body proceeds out of the HH. I think you and I were typing at the same time, so read my other posts for a little more explanation.

MTS said ........ "Sorry, not much help. I'm sitting here trying to think how you make such a personal quilt without knowing the person. Or is it like charity quilts? Very general in nature? And sorry to be crass but are they reused - or do they go the family?"

No, they are not meant to be personal and they do not go to the families. It is totally a service item that is reused. The family would leave the room, while the undertakers place the body in the body bag, move the body to the gurney and prepare to leave the room. The HH staff would have brought them the quilt. They pull down the body bag to expose the face/neck and pull the quilt up and tuck them in. Leave the room, and the family would now see the body in peace and comfort. Wheel it down the hall, a mini-ceremony with some candles as they leave .... and do their farewells. Of course, some will just stand and weep. Others may break down, kiss the body, etc.

The only personalization might be with the HH staff choosing quilt A vs. B vs. C thinking which one suits the individual and family better.

Once the body is in the funeral home's van, the quilt is folded and carried back in to the building. Then off to the laundry,

MTS said ........ "What do the two that your HH already have look like?"

Not much to compete with! Very bland and blah and totally matches the HH colours. Just large rectangles with same colour diagonally down the quilt, kind of like an overized bargello with a stairstep effect. Quilt is tied. Fabric was a poly shiny fabric (think brocade like) .... 4 or 5 different fabrics used with just a subtle switch of colours/design.

I've been requested to have it coordinate with their colours ... a blue (brownish base tone), tans, beiges. The rooms and building have lots of warm wood throughout, rather than paint.

And yes, maybe that's part of my metnal block as I don't care for the colours in the rooms. I think they would depress me if I spent any time there. Certainly better than a cold hospital room ... been there, done that!

They did suggest that these could be more feminine, and perhaps use some yellow and pink.

In taking up the challenge, I said I would not promise them in any rush as I want to get some other things done first, sort my stash and know that I have picked the "right" pattern and fabrics so I will be happy with the results too.