Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!! >

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

A while back, another Poster (sorry, I forget whom that is) shared about doing Passage Quilts for use in a Hospice Home. I was intrigued and thought what a respectful gesture towards the deceased and how thoughtful and caring towards their loved ones as they begin their mourning.

Since then I've done some research to find that this is common place in Hospice, contacted my local HH and discovered, yes, they have two, though would appreciate some new ones. I've agreed to take up the challenge.

Now, I'm feeling somewhat hesitant, intimidated and pressured in my quest to find appropriate quilt patterns, fabrics and colours that are not "in-you-face" but subtle, warm and the lasting memory that is wanted by all.

So I am looking to all for suggestions and inspiration. Please post your suggestions and experiences. Also, please do share your photos of Passage Quilts completed. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
A while back, another Poster (sorry, I forget whom that is) shared about doing Passage Quilts for use in a Hospice Home. I was intrigued and thought what a respectful gesture towards the deceased and how thoughtful and caring towards their loved ones as they begin their mourning.

Since then I've done some research to find that this is common place in Hospice, contacted my local HH and discovered, yes, they have two, though would appreciate some new ones. I've agreed to take up the challenge.

Now, I'm feeling somewhat hesitant, intimidated and pressured in my quest to find appropriate quilt patterns, fabrics and colours that are not "in-you-face" but subtle, warm and the lasting memory that is wanted by all.

So I am looking to all for suggestions and inspiration. Please post your suggestions and experiences. Also, please do share your photos of Passage Quilts completed. Thank you!
My suggestion is to try for a variety of colour schemes. Some people will want subtle, some will want subdued, some will want the brightest party colours you can imagine.

My mother died in hospice last spring. One of the chaplains came by to offer a prayer shawl. The one my mother picked was exactly like her personality: a bright, sunny yellow that just made me smile when I looked at it. All the other prayer shawls were dark colours, neutrals or pastels, which some people prefer but Mama loved colour.

I am so grateful to all the knitters and crocheters who created those lovely shawls. I'm particularly grateful that someone chose a bright, happy colour to make up that suited my mother best.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 AM
MTS
Banned

I had never heard the term before.

There all very Gees Bend-like. Which makes sense as you're using fabric from real life.
http://www.google.com/search?q=passa...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=euseTsnNB-rm0QGGtKWsAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=640

There's even a for-profit site that makes them, which is fine.

Sorry, not much help. I'm sitting here trying to think how you make such a personal quilt without knowing the person. Or is it like charity quilts? Very general in nature?

And sorry to be crass but are they reused - or do they go the family?

What do the two that your HH already have look like?

eta :
I was thinking perhaps by color/genre also - in some cases the patient will choose, and in others a family member will make the choice. I don't think the complexity of the blocks themselves are as important as the tone of the quilt - soft Moda florals/Kaffe brights/etc.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the thoughts ... I too would like to have a little more freedom on the vibrancy of colours.

The Passage Quilts are used when the body is removed from the HH by the undertakers, to cover the body, so that the loved ones last memories are not of the deceased being wheeled out in a body bag on a gurney.

I appreciate their desire for subtlety of the quilt. The idea is that the last memory be of the deceased at peace and in comfort created by the quilt, and not have the focus become the quilt. And that they are covered in a quilt, rather than a lasting memory of them leaving in a harsh body bag on a cold gurney.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I've seen some of those as I've googled around ... there's a bit of confusion as there are two different types.

"Passage" quilt has more relevance to passage meaning passage from life. Often time made from old clothing of the one who is dying or deceased.

This time ... "Passage" is empasis on the passage (aka hallway) as the body proceeds out of the HH. I think you and I were typing at the same time, so read my other posts for a little more explanation.

MTS said ........ "Sorry, not much help. I'm sitting here trying to think how you make such a personal quilt without knowing the person. Or is it like charity quilts? Very general in nature? And sorry to be crass but are they reused - or do they go the family?"

No, they are not meant to be personal and they do not go to the families. It is totally a service item that is reused. The family would leave the room, while the undertakers place the body in the body bag, move the body to the gurney and prepare to leave the room. The HH staff would have brought them the quilt. They pull down the body bag to expose the face/neck and pull the quilt up and tuck them in. Leave the room, and the family would now see the body in peace and comfort. Wheel it down the hall, a mini-ceremony with some candles as they leave .... and do their farewells. Of course, some will just stand and weep. Others may break down, kiss the body, etc.

The only personalization might be with the HH staff choosing quilt A vs. B vs. C thinking which one suits the individual and family better.

Once the body is in the funeral home's van, the quilt is folded and carried back in to the building. Then off to the laundry,

MTS said ........ "What do the two that your HH already have look like?"

Not much to compete with! Very bland and blah and totally matches the HH colours. Just large rectangles with same colour diagonally down the quilt, kind of like an overized bargello with a stairstep effect. Quilt is tied. Fabric was a poly shiny fabric (think brocade like) .... 4 or 5 different fabrics used with just a subtle switch of colours/design.

I've been requested to have it coordinate with their colours ... a blue (brownish base tone), tans, beiges. The rooms and building have lots of warm wood throughout, rather than paint.

And yes, maybe that's part of my metnal block as I don't care for the colours in the rooms. I think they would depress me if I spent any time there. Certainly better than a cold hospital room ... been there, done that!

They did suggest that these could be more feminine, and perhaps use some yellow and pink.

In taking up the challenge, I said I would not promise them in any rush as I want to get some other things done first, sort my stash and know that I have picked the "right" pattern and fabrics so I will be happy with the results too.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 AM
MTS
Banned

Oops, sorry. I totally misunderstood the use for that particular hospice organization.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I was also wondering about whether the "passage quilts" were re-used by the facility or sent home with the family.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Oops, sorry. I totally misunderstood the use for that particular hospice organization.
Oh that's OK ... when I first heard the term, I thought it was used in the manner that this will be plus it was sent home with the family. Or that it was used in their last days on their bed.

There's all different interpretations, particularly the links you gave where the one woman is making a business of teaching people how to make quilts from the old clothes. We've seen some beautiful Memory Quilts posted here .... and honestly, much nicer than many I've seen thru the other.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:12 AM

This is a post from a while ago RE passage quilts for soldiers. You may get some ideas from this.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108523-1.htm Just another suggestion.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

If the Hospice is affiliated with a certain religious group, crosses and angels, etc. might be okay.

If not, perhaps it is better to stay "generic" - ?