Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!! >

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 AM

My mum's palliative care quilt was purple,white and green. I made one in Australian wild flowers for use at the same place.It was red,yellow,pink ,purple and green in colour.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

I posted one a couple months back. Ours were used for over the body bags so you would think ours were drab, but the weren't. Blues and purples were in three of them. One was greens another was black white and red. Two more were totally scrappy. But we did stick to geometric patterns.

If they are being used by the hospice patients themselves, I would go happy and cheerful.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 AM

After reading the posts awhile back about Passage Quilts, I wanted to make one for a dear friend in my square dance club who was in the last stages of cancer. I cut some 6" blocks from my stash and made about 20 of the 10-minute blocks with the center diamonds of various pastel solids. It came out to be a large lap size. I quilted it with a polyester batting and a flannel back. Then I took it to our square dance club for everyone to sign their names in the center diamonds. I took it to the friend about 3 weeks before she died. Her husband later told me she was so proud of that quilt and used it every day, and showed it off to everyone who came to visit her. Now, he has the quilt to remind him of her and of how many people loved her. My only regret is that in my hurry to get it to her in time, I forgot to take a picture of it.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 AM

The one quilt guild that I belong to has made them for funeral homes. We did a rail in earth tone, and one in more towards neutrals maybe. It beats seeing there plain colored blanket with their logo on it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 AM

When my stepfather died at home several years ago under hospice care, the funeral director who removed his body covered the gurney with a beautiful quilt in a soft green floral. It was especially meaningful as my mom, sister and I are all quilters. I have been a hospice nurse for over ten years and it was the first time I had seen a funeral home do this- have seen it once since then. I think it is a lovely idea and could also be offered to funeral homes, for those who die at home to continue the peaceful process as they are transitioned from home to funeral home. Just a thought I had- will have to look into it. But I really appreciate all of you who have made these quilts, it is so much more calming to a family than the alternative.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM

I think I'll make some of these...and one specially for myself!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Oooooops, sorry!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 AM

I have made several quilts for this purpose, they were called continuation quilts. they are offered to the family to take home.Patterns vary a four patch seems to be popular altho any pattern will work. I have done fans, four & nine patch, just cant cut it, ect.
Good luck with your new project, & have fun with them.
Gloria
Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 AM

This is the passage quilt that our guild members have been making in nature/earth colors for the funeral homes in our area.

Homeward Bound pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226759[/ATTACH]

Quilt made from pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226761[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226753.jpe   attachment-226755.jpe  
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Jane, do you know the measurements on the quilts? If I remember correctly, they're narrower and longer than a typical quilt. Thanks.