Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!! >

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Great continuation of this thread today, folks! Bless you for sharing your stories, thoughts, pictures, suggestions and inspiration.

Re the size question ... the ones they are using now are 60x80 and they seem to be quite content on that sizing. I'm somewhat thankful, as I hear that some of the Passage Quilts being made are absolutely huge! I'm wondering if some are wrapping the bodies in them, not just covering?

These will stay with the Hospice Home, being folded and given back to a staff member once the body is in the funeral home's van. I know some of the others are for other purposes, including given to the family after death.

Tonight I actually sat down and worked out fabric quantities, so that when I go Stash Shopping, I know roughly what I need! One fabric I'd like to use is a butterfly print that I've used before and would be perfect in my Double Rose Trellis. Also, thinking of the Homeward Bound posted previously, no idea what fabrics, but can now "watch" my Stash for what might work! Tomorrow I do need to Stash Shop for the purse course on Sunday and will be setting potentials aside for this project as I do!

And who knows? I may not end up doing either of those patterns, but at least it's a start!!!

Still looking forward to any further input that each and everyone cares to share! THANKS!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Some photos for your feedback. Please see my comments below and tell me what you think about my idea.
Please? and Thanks!!!!

I mentioned the Double Rose Trellis quilt in the previous thread, as being a possible pattern for the Passage Quilt. Here's the one I finished this spring. Yes, too vibrant for the PQ!! What do you think of the pattern? The next picture below shows you the Butterfly Print that I'm thinking would work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227044[/ATTACH]

Butterflies in My Garden!! -- I have a piece large enought that would make the trellis centres for the previous quilt. For the trellis, I'm thinking tans/browns/taupes to help keep it more subdued. My HH contact saw this picture and zeroed in on the butterflies. And yes I know the whole quilt is too vibrant again!! This was a wedding gift for my adopted nice and her husband last year.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227045[/ATTACH]

While I'm at it, you might as well see the backside of the Butterflies. Did some fussy cutting and used the leftover pieced butterflies to help join together regular 40 fabric for the backing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227046[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227038.jpe   attachment-227039.jpe   attachment-227040.jpe  
Old 07-16-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I like the butterflies fabric. There are also some lovely scenic fabrics that could work beautifully. Anything that gives you a peaceful feeling (trees, meadows, sunset, blue sky). I think I will check into a need for something in my community as well.

We lost my mother nearly 11 years ago and her last few months were spent in a "Chronic Care" facilty and although the staff and everyone were wonderful there was something about the environment that made me very sad. Because she was only 56 at the time it always seemed that her surroundings made her much older. I think many facilties are trying to improve upon that by making things more homey and less institutional, but there is only so much you can do.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
Jane, do you know the measurements on the quilts? If I remember correctly, they're narrower and longer than a typical quilt. Thanks.
I'm waiting for a reply from a person who knows, but I think it was 80" x 54". I'll get back to you on that.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I like the butterflies fabric. There are also some lovely scenic fabrics that could work beautifully. Anything that gives you a peaceful feeling (trees, meadows, sunset, blue sky). I think I will check into a need for something in my community as well.

We lost my mother nearly 11 years ago and her last few months were spent in a "Chronic Care" facilty and although the staff and everyone were wonderful there was something about the environment that made me very sad. Because she was only 56 at the time it always seemed that her surroundings made her much older. I think many facilties are trying to improve upon that by making things more homey and less institutional, but there is only so much you can do.
I know what you mean! Been there, done that with parents and my husband. One of the reasons I was onside for our local Hospice Home from its inception.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 PM

I believe debbieoh posted about making them.I gave her a an "amazing Grace" panel for one. hers would drape the body in the final hrs& would remain w/hospice. she planned to make "soldier "style one , too
Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Before I get started on a passage quilt, I'd need to know the general dimensions so it won't be either too narrow or short.....does anyone know?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by kwilter
Before I get started on a passage quilt, I'd need to know the general dimensions so it won't be either too narrow or short.....does anyone know?
In my research I phoned the local funeral Parlor for whom I had agreed to donate the quilt.
They told me to make it 8 ft long x 3 ft wide . As I thought about these measurements I was picturing a gurney so I understood when used to just cover. Also not big/heavy for them to store I imagine. He suggested also double sided as I said for man/women
Please let me know what your area suggests as size.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Best to check with those you will be donating it to. For our HH I measured the ones they had already, 60x80" and then asked, if they wanted a change in size? No, that's working fine.

I have heard of one Guild who makes them 156" long (forget the width) .... mammoth, right?

Better to know up front than to have a disappointment for yourself when they say, it won't work for them!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Best to check with those you will be donating it to. For our HH I measured the ones they had already, 60x80" and then asked, if they wanted a change in size? No, that's working fine.

I have heard of one Guild who makes them 156" long (forget the width) .... mammoth, right?

Better to know up front than to have a disappointment for yourself when they say, it won't work for them!
13 feet long? do they put it under AND over the body?

156 cm would be approx 61 inches long