Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!! >

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Passage Quilts -- Inspiration and Suggestions PLEASE!!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Read both pages before I replied. Months ago read here about "Passage Quilt". Friends brother died and she told me body bag/gurney was covered with quilt so she thought of me. The 2 sisters felt relieved as it passed them in the lobby but knew this was usual at this home for yrs-it's
Newmarket On. actually - my friend is friend of owner.

So I researched and talked to Funeral Director in our Ontario village. Now voluntered to make a quilt to be in hearst available when needed as covering. Going up to the gurney and saying goodbye is less stressful for other residents who knew that person -helps withdrawal.

Suggested was double sided -lady/manly 3ft x 8 ft.

I wanted to try 10 min block so do ladies side. Fabric promised to me next month will dictate man side as I will try to do all from stash with only a used sheet as batting to help with weight/ draping. Great time to use reversible quilting methods.
Have a pillowcase with "Lord is my Shepard" crossstitched on it I will give to them to store the quilt in the auto.
Want simple pattern made with love.
Families won't have to decide who gets the quilt after the funeral this way.
Will send photo here naturally when finished. Need to spend less time on QB and more time working on these projects.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Suggested was double sided -lady/manly .
That's a great idea.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I had never heard the term before.

There all very Gees Bend-like. Which makes sense as you're using fabric from real life.
http://www.google.com/search?q=passa...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=euseTsnNB-rm0QGGtKWsAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=640

There's even a for-profit site that makes them, which is fine.

Sorry, not much help. I'm sitting here trying to think how you make such a personal quilt without knowing the person. Or is it like charity quilts? Very general in nature?

And sorry to be crass but are they reused - or do they go the family?

What do the two that your HH already have look like?

eta :
I was thinking perhaps by color/genre also - in some cases the patient will choose, and in others a family member will make the choice. I don't think the complexity of the blocks themselves are as important as the tone of the quilt - soft Moda florals/Kaffe brights/etc.

I'm only familiar with one case where a quilt was given to a hospice patient, and that was a very dear aunt of mine. She was given a lap size quilt and it was kept by the family after her death. It was a well appreciated gesture.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM

I have made passing quilts foe a long time the family get to keep them Here are some of the quilts I have made. we some wonderful letters from the family saying how much the quilt meant to the person
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226841.jpe   attachment-226842.jpe   attachment-226843.jpe  
Old 07-15-2011, 01:33 PM

I have been involved in our local hospital making "Peace Blankets." We make many simple blankets, about 45x45, one side pieced and colorful (possibly themed) and the back side is flannel. They are meant to be like a lap quilt and brighten the room.

These blankets are given to the hospice patients and later to the family of the deceased as a comfort, being the last thing their loved one touched and used.

This ministry is part of the hospital's NODA (NoOneDiesAlone) program. Trained volunteers give around the clock care to a hospice patient at the request of the family when they cannot be present to sit with their loved one.

It's very rewarding to be part of this compassionate ministry.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM

Look at sacredthreads.com. They address just the typw of quilts you are looking for.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DanaNVa
Look at sacredthreads.com. They address just the typw of quilts you are looking for.
All I see on that site is clothing. Nothing to do with quilts. Is it a different site possibly?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM

My Mom was also on Hospice when she passed away. The dear sweet nurse who cared for her brought her a darling quilt and it was (I'm sure) made from scraps. It had little houses in each block (not applique) and all were made from different colors. No two blocks the same colors and all were bound together with sashing of dark navy blue with red and yellow flowers, red binding and backing. It was lovely. So don't worry about colors just dive in and make them. They will truly be greatly loved and appreicated.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Sorry. The web site should be sacredthreadsquilts.com
Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 PM

I think you can get some lovely quilts using the simple tube quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Co. (missouriquiltco.com). See the tube quilt or Summer in the park tutes. Depending on your fabric choices you can evoke a number of looks. The Hourglass tute on Missouri Star is also very nice...a 9-patch alternates with an hour glass. A similar quilt is a 16-patch alternating with a pinwheel. I've seen a number of them posted here...they work up very well. There's directions for this one on Quiltville.com, called Patches & Pinwheels.