Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 AM
charity-crafter

I guess one more time. I did go back and read some of the older posts concerning this topic.

My problem-our group (MSPquilting Angels in Germantown, MD) has received a huge amount of upholstery samples- books and the nice larger pieces. Plus the little books with 4-5" pieces of decorative trims.

We are taking the lighter weight fabrics to work them into quilts, the bigger pieces we'll make into soldier bags-the bags for the QOV's.

I picked up a couple of small sample books to use for my sunbonnet sue accuquilt cutter. They are about 5" samples by the time I cut off the paper.

The label says: 58% cotton, 42% polyester. Dry clean only.

I put them in a sink with hot water and soap and hand washed them roughly-you know like kneading bread. And hung them to dry. They seem ok. I don't want to put these small pieces in the washer/dryer. I plan on spraying them water, ironing and then spray starching and ironing before I cut them.

So, do you think it's ok to use for applique or should I find a way to wash properly?

What are you suggestions for the use of uphostery fabrics? You would not believe how many we have received.

One year I made eye glass cases, which were really easy and fast to make buy nobody bought any.

What sells well at craft fairs? We will have a booth at the church craft fair later this year. We are making quilted placemats (also as an exercise in praciticing quiilting so more people will quilt thier own quilts and to practice binding-some of us aren't greatest with our binding. ) and another person is making some aprons from non-quit type fabrics.