Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 AM
MarthaT

Well, I was starting to read all the replies before I answered, but I don't have time. Looks like you need to print them out and write a book! Lots of good advice. I've been married to my best friend for nearly 38 years!!! Can't believe it has been that long. The years just fly. Divorce is not a word we ever use...not an option. There was a time when we were going through some tough stuff that if it were an option, we might have considered it. That was about 15 yrs. ago and I'm sooooo glad we stuck it out. It only got better after that. A study was done of couples who were in unhappy marriages. They checked on them 5 yrs. later. Those who split up, many were still unhappy or dissatisfied after 5 yrs. (even those who remarried.) Those who stuck together were much happier and satisfied with their lives and their marriages. Fighting the battles together and coming out on top only strengthens what you already have. Love is not a feeling, but a daily choice. Remember, you can't change the other person, but you can change yourself. I believe that putting God in the center of our marriage and taking time to pray together and worship together has also been a key to our success.