View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM
ArizonaQuilts1

Hi Quilters,

After reading some of the recent posts about fabric addiction, I've come to realize I've hit rock bottom. Everywhere I look there are either quilts, PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) or fabrics of all persuasions. There are 7 sewing machines, multitudes of storage bins, cutters, threads, rulers, patterns, books and every notion ever concocted. I have scraps out the wazoo, there are bolts of backings, battings of all weights, interfactings, 8 irons and 4 ironing boards.

There are piles of quilts carefully covered with white sheets in 2 bedrooms. There are quilts rolled up behind the sofas and under the beds. Most of these quilts are unbound because I hate binding. The stacks amount to anywhere from 300-400 quilts, runners, placemats, table toppers, treeskirts and wall hangings. There is a huge bookshelf full of totes, small bags, checkbook covers and zipper pouches. The massive cabinets my DH built a few years ago are so overstuffed, I can't pull anything out without creating a fabric tsunami.

My computer contains links to hundreds of fabric e-stores, quilting blogs and pattern sites. I've signed up for newsletters and fabric ads to the point where I can't keep up with my mail. Every mail sent to me is a temptation. The mail carriers, UPS and Fed-X delivery people know me by name. The bank no longer calls and asks "is this your purchase from ______ (fill in the name of the fabric store) or did somebody get their hands on your credit card?"

I can't go on like this so I have decided to check myself into fabric rehab. I need to come up with a plan to regain my sanity.

So fellow quilters, I am going to count on your support as I go thru this journey. Any tips and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Finally, I hear you get fabric withdrawal symptoms that are very unflattering to otherwise mild-mannered quilters, so please bear with me.

Mary, proclaimed fabric addict.....July 16, 2011