Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaQuilts1
Hi Quilters,

After reading some of the recent posts about fabric addiction, I've come to realize I've hit rock bottom. Everywhere I look there are either quilts, PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) or fabrics of all persuasions. There are 7 sewing machines, multitudes of storage bins, cutters, threads, rulers, patterns, books and every notion ever concocted. I have scraps out the wazoo, there are bolts of backings, battings of all weights, interfactings, 8 irons and 4 ironing boards.

There are piles of quilts carefully covered with white sheets in 2 bedrooms. There are quilts rolled up behind the sofas and under the beds. Most of these quilts are unbound because I hate binding. The stacks amount to anywhere from 300-400 quilts, runners, placemats, table toppers, treeskirts and wall hangings. There is a huge bookshelf full of totes, small bags, checkbook covers and zipper pouches. The massive cabinets my DH built a few years ago are so overstuffed, I can't pull anything out without creating a fabric tsunami.

My computer contains links to hundreds of fabric e-stores, quilting blogs and pattern sites. I've signed up for newsletters and fabric ads to the point where I can't keep up with my mail. Every mail sent to me is a temptation. The mail carriers, UPS and Fed-X delivery people know me by name. The bank no longer calls and asks "is this your purchase from ______ (fill in the name of the fabric store) or did somebody get their hands on your credit card?"

I can't go on like this so I have decided to check myself into fabric rehab. I need to come up with a plan to regain my sanity.

So fellow quilters, I am going to count on your support as I go thru this journey. Any tips and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Finally, I hear you get fabric withdrawal symptoms that are very unflattering to otherwise mild-mannered quilters, so please bear with me.

Mary, proclaimed fabric addict.....July 16, 2011
Do you want to know what museums do when confronted with sorting out a collection like yours?
First, get enough boxes to hold it all. Then start rough sorting all the same things together into the same place.
Remember to sort fabric by color, because that is the way
you think of it~! Only red in one, green in others,so on,
(I have 24 of them)
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 AM

I've been P&M cause there are so few fabrics left, only four bins, down from a roomful. Yesterday I went thru them and realized its not the fabrics keeping me from getting to work, but me. I just need inspiration to try new things and use these fabrics I've passed over in favor of stuff in my comfort zone. Sorted by color, ready to start thinking in terms of scrap happy quilts.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:08 AM

Do you want to know how museums sort out a collection like yours? ONE Rule! = Same things together!
First estimate the volume of it all, and get enough cardboard boxes to hold it. - Don't worry, you won't keep the boxes, they are just for sorting.
Stand the ironing boards up to help clear space. or use them for sorting tables. Start by clearing the fabric out of the storage cabinets and sort it by color into boxes - do not be surprised if you have 12 or more color categories. (I have 24) Leave the tops open.
Now you have a place to put your all of your non fabric stuff!!!! Notions, patterns, scissors and cutters. Get clear plastic shoeboxes, and put them on the shelves, and sort the notions into them. remembering, "Same things together" Like thread, or ribbons. You might not leave them there, but after they are sorted, they need a place just to be!!!!
Do this until you get a rough sorting of everything. Batting is a third category. Bag it in clear bags and put it all together too! Fill up a closet to the ceiling with it just to get it out from underfoot, if you can!
NOW, you can work on arranging where you want things to go!
Remember, you have to have enough storage shelves to hold all of your fabric and notions, because they can't float in the air.
Good luck! Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me ! I am a retired museum director, and am glad to help! jpthequilter
PS forgot to say -
give away or sell what you can,
Buy a couple of rolling racks to hang as many of your quilts as you can.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm.... not sure what to say. Maybe we are the wrong crowd to ask for help? Your place sounds like quilters heaven.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Were you on tv on a show about a quoted who was a horder? Lol
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Mary,
I am behind in reading Quilting Board posts due to quilting projects. Let us all know where the rehab center is so we can reserve a getaway too. My quilting "studio" has taken over the master bedroom, dining room and the large walk in closet. We sleep in the smallest guest bedroom since the king size bed in the master is covered with fabric and WIP. Your posting made me laugh so hard!!!!
Enjoy your addiction!
JoAnn Rice
Scottsdale, AZ
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 AM

Mary, my dear:
I have carefully read your post - twice. For the life of me I can't identify a problem here. Don't be so hard on yourself. In the general scheme of things, you appear to be conducting your life in a manner befitting any well-adjusted quilter of the 21st century.
You obviously have a love of fabric, evidenced by the amount you've acquired and the way you've stored it on shelves, in bags, tubs, buckets, etc.
You are careful with your quilts, evidenced by the care you give them in covering them with sheets and rolling them rather than folding and creasing them.
You've had your DH build to shelves to store and display your fabrics, which speaks well of you.
If there is one thing needed to ease you into a state of true comfort - it would be to have DH build you more shelves. When He built the first ones, he obviously didn't take into consideration the growth you would develop.
All in all - there's nothing wrong with you that a few more shelves, and perhaps a room addition, can't make right.