Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Hi Quilters,

After reading some of the recent posts about fabric addiction, I've come to realize I've hit rock bottom. Everywhere I look there are either quilts, PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) or fabrics of all persuasions. There are 7 sewing machines, multitudes of storage bins, cutters, threads, rulers, patterns, books and every notion ever concocted. I have scraps out the wazoo, there are bolts of backings, battings of all weights, interfactings, 8 irons and 4 ironing boards.

There are piles of quilts carefully covered with white sheets in 2 bedrooms. There are quilts rolled up behind the sofas and under the beds. Most of these quilts are unbound because I hate binding. The stacks amount to anywhere from 300-400 quilts, runners, placemats, table toppers, treeskirts and wall hangings. There is a huge bookshelf full of totes, small bags, checkbook covers and zipper pouches. The massive cabinets my DH built a few years ago are so overstuffed, I can't pull anything out without creating a fabric tsunami.

My computer contains links to hundreds of fabric e-stores, quilting blogs and pattern sites. I've signed up for newsletters and fabric ads to the point where I can't keep up with my mail. Every mail sent to me is a temptation. The mail carriers, UPS and Fed-X delivery people know me by name. The bank no longer calls and asks "is this your purchase from ______ (fill in the name of the fabric store) or did somebody get their hands on your credit card?"

I can't go on like this so I have decided to check myself into fabric rehab. I need to come up with a plan to regain my sanity.

So fellow quilters, I am going to count on your support as I go thru this journey. Any tips and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Finally, I hear you get fabric withdrawal symptoms that are very unflattering to otherwise mild-mannered quilters, so please bear with me.

Mary, proclaimed fabric addict.....July 16, 2011
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Join the crowd
Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Sounds like you have been busy. Do you have family members who will appreciate your quilts? If not, you need to make some type of plan. My sister's quilts got lost in the shuffle as she has so much fabric when she lost her battle with colon cancer.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Wow! I've been in fabric rehab for awhile, with my stash not growing, so feel I have a right to contribute to this thread.

In my case, I simply stopped going to fabric stores and stopped looking online (had stopped going to garage sales several years ago). That has helped a lot!

What strikes me as unusual about your case is the multitude of unfinished quilts. I think you need to learn how to do binding and then warm your heart by finding people/charities who can actually use your quilts. Maybe find ways to display some of your quilts in your house too.

Concerning binding, here are links to my favorite method by Leah Day for completely machine binding quilts (much faster than finishing by hand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Well Mary..you just described me "almost" to a T...*L* except I don't have 8 irons...only 3..I will lend you moral support when you need it.. I do love to hand bind my quilts..it's just getting them to the quilted stage and ready to bind that stops me. Hang in there...it will get better?? I think?? I hope?? maybe not?? If you need someone to chat about it with send me a PM...
crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border :roll:
Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 AM

The first step in a 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. I think you just did that.

The QB is full of enablers, but there are some who have made the commitment you have. Look up the moratorium thread. It is was started as a year long thing about December last year, but you can join anytime.

Your quilts need to get out into the world to be enjoyed, but that's another step.

I support your effort. Keep in touch. BTW, your avatar is beautiful.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM

I hope you never recover!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 AM

Mary, I know some would think this funny [it's not drugs, alcohol etc], but I think you are wise to realize some behavior changes are in order. I am no expert, but I know you can't change everything at once. This is a long haul deal. If you had to answer in 15 seconds or less, what is the one thing you most want to change? Is it the finished projects just sitting? Could you pick one place you store them, then narrow that to a shelf or a specific number of items or something and sort through those with the goal of finding 10 items to donate? Is 10 too many? How about 5 or even 3?
If it is a finished item who would use it? Women? Children? Men? Elderly? Okay, now what organizations in your very immediate area reach out to that group? Would your husband or a friend or other family member be willing to take the items for delivery before you change your mind? [It might be a while before you can get to the point of taking something yourself]. Do a print out from the organization if they have a website with some pictures, if there are any, with the information of the mission of this organization. Keep focused on who you are helping, not on what you are giving up.
If it can't be finished items what about just a couple of quilts that need binding? Is there a guild, church or other public group that does charity quilts? Could you find at least 2 or 3 you could pass on to them? If not quilts what about a few bags of scraps?
I don't know if this is any help, but I know changing behavior must be done in small steps with little successes adding up. You can do this. You have recognized the need to change your behavior--that is the most important part! That is huge! I look forward to your future posts. This was very brave of you to start this thread.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Hello,
I support your decision. I have come to a point where I know the amount of fabric I have starts to get in the way.

I love binding quilts, too bad I live so far away or I would happily bind your quilts over the course of a long winter in NH and this would feed my addiction for seeing and touching fabric without adding to my own stash.
I hope you get many supporters here.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Wow!
Did you ever think of donating them?
Find a Guild who would help you with the bindings, then donate them to something like domestic abuse center,were woman in pain could have something beautiful to call their own.
I could send you postage,for you to send the quilt to me and I'll bind a few for you and then take them to a charity in my area, stating that they were from you.
I also know of a home were young girls who are pregnant live, to learn how to take care of their babies and their selves, they would also love you quilts.
Just a thought.
Just send me a PM.