Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM

I still say the fabric is the adiction and I am quilty. I am trying to clean my act up but am not doing all that well. I picked up a stash yesterday for $10 from a lady that is on her way to assisted living. I do have just one iron and one machine (viking) but I want a featherweight I think. I need to take control of this. I can have a garage sale here and advertise it as a lot of fabric and I believe the place would fill up with buyers...this is a land of quilters. Will I do that? Maybe next summer.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 AM

I agree with everyone. I would find a charity who could bind them and donate some to them. If there are some that you would like to keep but need help binding with, maybe some of us local girls could get together with you and spend some time working on them. I live very close to Big Surf and the Scottsdale drive in. Let me know if I can help.

Robyn
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM

I don't have this problem. I bought 3 yards of material today, for the back of a quilt, knowing that it takes seven yards for a queen bed. In a few months I hope to buy material for the front. Ha Ha. Although I like fabric so much and could have that problem, the grocery stores leave me too broke to ever have to worry about it.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM

Also there is a wonderful organization here called Homeward Bound that helps women with children into transitional housing. Most of these families have nothing when they come into the program. If you are interested in more info on them send me a pm. They were there for me and my son after he was paralyzed and my marriage became a nightmare. I can't say enough wonderful things about them.

Robyn
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 AM

A couple years ago, I had a friend come visit me, we sat in my sewing room, and I divided just about all I had with her, craft stuff, fabric, anything else that I had plenty of. She left with several large garbage bags full. It was a good feeling to share. She has come again one more time and brought stuff of hers to share with me. We had a ball. We both probably still have too much stuff, me for sure. But it does make you feel better to give it to someone who either needs it or just would love to have it. Hope you will share your things with someone, its a great feeling. And believe me you won't even miss it or remember what you gave. I didn't..Well maybe a couple of things..Good Luck in your rehab.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Wow! I've been in fabric rehab for awhile, with my stash not growing, so feel I have a right to contribute to this thread.

In my case, I simply stopped going to fabric stores and stopped looking online (had stopped going to garage sales several years ago). That has helped a lot!

What strikes me as unusual about your case is the multitude of unfinished quilts. I think you need to learn how to do binding and then warm your heart by finding people/charities who can actually use your quilts. Maybe find ways to display some of your quilts in your house too.

Concerning binding, here are links to my favorite method by Leah Day for completely machine binding quilts (much faster than finishing by hand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related
Or find someone who will do the binding for you. I H-A-T-E doing binding so I have found a lady who will do it for me for a reasonable amount. It is worth it to me to have the project finished and off my list.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Binding is not my downfall. After piecing, I have tops that are not quilted. I don't think that I can afford to pay someone to do my quilting, and I'm not good enough at machine quilting. Yes. I've heard it is practice, practice, practice. I just have not gotten to it. :(
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 AM

How awesome that you keep it all. =) I always end up giving my creations away, but I do have a few. Yesterday I finished up a few orphan quilt blocks ~ I quilted them and bound them so that I can hang them on the wall. I decided I want to decorate with what I spend so much time doing so that I can enjoy the fruits of my labor. =)

As far as the fabric stash goes..I decided a few months ago that I am going to use all the fabric I have and the clothes I am saving for quilting projects and stop storing it all. I am missing out on a big portion of this craft by storing and not using. Its all about changing your point of view I do believe. I told my husband yesterday that I want to be know as a great quilter. I'm fortunate in that he supports me 1000%. I too have many rulers and tons of notions ~ some that have never seen the light of day...I'm working on that. I would give anything if one of my girls would quilt with me. If they would just get started it would change life as we know it. But they have had to deal with me & my obsession so much that they are barely interested...ho hum...I hope one day that changes....Good luck to you! I feel your pain but I am slowly changing my train of thought. =)
Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Get help in letting go of the thrill of acquisition and get practice in the joy of giving. I learned the hard way too and still battle the acquisition drug ('but it's such a bargain' :-( )but I know it is for the best. Unburden yourself and let go of the blame game too.

HUGS!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM

ok why so many irons and ironing boards, save favorites and then donate the others to some worthy cause......other than that i do not see the problem....except, well i like to do binding