Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >
  • Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

• Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 AM

You don't sound ill to me. If you can afford it and you enjoy it why worry about it? This worry and stress is taking the pleasure away from the very thing you enjoy the most.

In stitches, (and fabric and machines and notions, etc)
    Roberta
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 AM

I can feel for you. I have the same problem, My granddaughter asked me if I was turning into a hoarder. I guess my house does look like a hoarders. Oh well it's mine and I can live with it.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 AM

Don/t feel bad after a 3cweek road trip I stopped at every fabric shop I saw and bought fabric.

Hoppa
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Arizonaquilts, I sympathize with you. I love to bind and will help you out. Also, my daughter is a pediatrician at a childrens hospital. She works with preemies and abused and neglected children. S he would greatly appreciate any baby or youth blankets. It makes such a difference to them to have something to hang on to in this time of crisis in their lives. PM me and I will arrange postage. Good luck in your rehab. God bless you and help you in your quest.
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 AM

wow! I showed your post to my family--you make me look sain by comparison. My doctor titrates my meds based on how mANY quilts I've done in the past month. You need to start purging--I gave away sewing machines and had a big garage sale advertised on craig's list and got rid of tons of stuff. You have to stay away from the fabric stores. The last 2 quilts I made from shopping my stash. Hang in there!
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
    Join the crowd
    Ditto!
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by Kitsie
    I hope you never recover!!!
    no really.....she/we do need to recover.

first off...unsub from ALL of the fabric shop emails...it isn't really that hard..took me about an hour...yes, a FULL hour to go through all the emails I filed away and just unsubscribe from that shop!

Then I did the same thing on facebook!
    Then I deleted the upteen yahoogroups, I never really participated in, but just READ the links to more FREE patterns.

I am 50...I have very little time to sew/quilt/craft at all any more.
    I have over 1,000 patterns, 300+ books, 38 UFO's that are all queen size quilts, another 50+ PIGS and about 3,000 yards of fabric. ADD to that my inking, painting, dyeing, stamping, discharging, foiling, threads, notions, rulers, die cutters, dies, machines, irons, you name it...and that one tiny 10' room contains nearly $100,000.00 in merchandise!

I have two children, both boys. Both not on their own in this economy. Both with NO inclination of making a family yet, since they are still NOT on their own. Should I ever get grands, those quilts are already made. NO need to keep the baby fabrics!
    The boys both have 6 quilts now and each has a UFO that will be a wedding gift(should that ever happen)! My entire family is quilted out..as in they do not want/need any more quilts from me!

SO...why do I keep all of this stuff?
    This is NOT my only passion in life...I no longer have my store, I no longer teach classes...it no longer brings me joy when I see it, it just STUFF that is weighing me down....so...it is all going...
    I will never recoup 1/2 of what I have spent on all this stuff...nobody wants to inherit it..so I came to the realization that it just needs to go. Hopefully it will bring someone else some joy/happiness.
    Beautifully said. :thumbup:
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 AM

I had the same problem several years ago and then I found out that there was a medicine that I was taking that was causing the problem. One of the side effects was adiction. I read about it in the newspaper and had the doctor change my meds and I realized that I was buying a lot of fabric but never making it into anything. I even had rented a storage bin to house all the goods. I had all good intentions but never did anything. The first thing I did was get rid of most of the fabric, books, and stuffed associated with the problem. I didn't sew for a while as I was always relating to my past situation. I don'y know if this will help you. Good Luck
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM

I have an idea, you can donate the quilts to homeless shelters, Veterans homes, foster families, etc. Then you can have a great big, giant quilt sale to get your stash and tools down.
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM

I love this board!!