Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >
  • Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

• Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM

I showed your note to my husband who replied "when the fabric in this house starts getting to close the (my) garage, we will have to make changes. Until that day, you are OK".

Sometimes our perfectionistic tendances get in the way of completing projects. Set a small goal...one binding every week and work a little towards the goal each day ( maybe 1 hour). As you move toward your goal, you will find yourself feeling better about all of this. Good Luck!
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Ok, I have had a very DH who has helped me de-fabricolic myself. It also helped that the 12 x 65 foot trailer on my farm (which housed my machines, fabric, etc) had to be demolished to allow me to get a mortgage for remodeling of our farm house. Jeff spent many hours selling the fabric that I wasn't going to use on ebay (or whereever). It hurt, but I have been donating all of our quilts to family members and project linus, and contact center since. If you need help binding, please PM me, I would be happy to help you (you will need to pay postage) if you wish. I am working on a couple of quilts to keep (finally) but I totally believe my addiction was that, an addiction. there are probably 20 ladies and gentlemen on this board that would help you. PM if you need me for any help. I would be happy to help another.
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 AM

I too have been trying for a while to not buy any more fabric. It's just that I always see fabric I can't resist or that I really need for a project I'm working on. So, I've gotten better, but I doubt I'll ever be truly cured of the disease! ( Thank goodness !! )
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 AM
    Power Poster

Wished we lived closer because I would enjoy doing your bindings. That's my favorite part of the process, enjoy handsewing and also know the quilt is finally finished. Good luck at rehab.
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:20 AM

anybody here think things are out of control i will gladly take whatever you are willing to part with off your hands.
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Sharon, I'm also from RI
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM

I am addicted to fabric also, this is my year to finish projects...my daughter is on her way over to pick me up and go to LQS to pick up my BERNINA that was in a coma but now is well. we will pick out backing for a quilt my grandmother started in the 1920's but that is all. It has been 60 days since i have purchased fabric. but, i sew for hours every day!!!!!!on my 301A. and now i will be able to quilt (FMQ) again with my 1630. sewing is joy ! and the handwork part of binding is what i do in the mornings(i wake at 3:30) when the sound of the machine might bother others.
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM

my name is marie b. and I am a sewing supply addict-
    I, too, realized that I was buying more fabric than I could ever use in this and many other lifetimes, so I put a note on my computer monitor that said "Nothing"-as in 'you will buy nothing'. I unsubscribed to the multiple quilt shop lists (you will remember the ones you really like(!)). I bit the bullet and finished every half-done project-I did send several out to a local LAQ and it was worth every penny (after all I wasn't buying fabric or supplies...).
    I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times in the last year or so. I bought a couple of 301s, but I am selling all of my seldom used machines and patterns and books that I have but do not use.
    As I de-clutter my sewing room, donate fabric to charity groups, sell off little-used things I feel so much less pressure and it is easier to work in my space.
    visiting here and enjoying the wonderful ideas and work of others has replaced the "buying" bug for me, so thank you to all of you for a service that you didn't even know that you have provided-random acts of kindness for sure!!
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM

I am 76 and about 5 years ago went through my crafts etc. and chose which crafts I would be able to enjoy before I am called to the pearly gates. Crocheting and knitting and quilting are still in. I saved my pen and ink materials, but wonder if my hand is still steady enough to do satisfactory work. Cannot do cross stitch, beading, tatting, flower crafts, gardening, beadwork and wreath making. Got rid of quite a bit of stuff. Saved some clothing patterns and got rid of the rest. Feel much lighter now. Still have too much quilting fabric, but I figure that now I cannot afford to buy fabric and am dedicated to using what is in my sewing area. Also have 5 sewing machines. Am giving 3 of these to a settlement house in the city that teaches refugees to do simple household tasks including sewing. I hope I get 'A' for effort.
    Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by Kitsie
    I hope you never recover!!!
    no really.....she/we do need to recover.

first off...unsub from ALL of the fabric shop emails...it isn't really that hard..took me about an hour...yes, a FULL hour to go through all the emails I filed away and just unsubscribe from that shop!

Then I did the same thing on facebook!
    Then I deleted the upteen yahoogroups, I never really participated in, but just READ the links to more FREE patterns.

I am 50...I have very little time to sew/quilt/craft at all any more.
    I have over 1,000 patterns, 300+ books, 38 UFO's that are all queen size quilts, another 50+ PIGS and about 3,000 yards of fabric. ADD to that my inking, painting, dyeing, stamping, discharging, foiling, threads, notions, rulers, die cutters, dies, machines, irons, you name it...and that one tiny 10' room contains nearly $100,000.00 in merchandise!

I have two children, both boys. Both not on their own in this economy. Both with NO inclination of making a family yet, since they are still NOT on their own. Should I ever get grands, those quilts are already made. NO need to keep the baby fabrics!
    The boys both have 6 quilts now and each has a UFO that will be a wedding gift(should that ever happen)! My entire family is quilted out..as in they do not want/need any more quilts from me!

SO...why do I keep all of this stuff?
    This is NOT my only passion in life...I no longer have my store, I no longer teach classes...it no longer brings me joy when I see it, it just STUFF that is weighing me down....so...it is all going...
    I will never recoup 1/2 of what I have spent on all this stuff...nobody wants to inherit it..so I came to the realization that it just needs to go. Hopefully it will bring someone else some joy/happiness.
    exactly! I read your post yesterday about the Dear Jane quilt and how you had fabric, book, software, etc. and thought 'this woman sounds like me!' I am in the process of trying to accomplish the same goal, the old "less is more" idea-more satisfaction w/ less stuff-