Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM

My name is Linda and I'm a Fabricholic.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 AM

Mary, you can do it. You sound like me only on a larger scale. Are your UFO's quilted? One difference is I love binding. I see several have offered to bind your quilts, and I would add my name to the list. Send a pm if you are interested. Once the quilt is finished, you can decide what to do with it.
Sue
Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Sell, sell, sell here on the QB. You will then be able to afford rehab. However, realize that you will be helping another person become addicted!!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 AM

I'am so sorry to say I can not be counted on! :lol: You just can't count on a Addict to help I would Only lead you to the nearest Quilt store! :lol:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Mary,
Thank you for sharing your "fabric, quilt issue" with all of us. I think we all really enjoy (some love) the fabrics and what we can make with them. But recognizing that you are going to make some changes by planning the "undo" is a great step. If I lived closer, I would bind a few quilts. If you have fellow quilters who can help you do a few that would be great. Especially if you would donate them to a charitable organization. Just ask them, order some pizzas, put some music on and dig in. We are all here for support.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Go through your fabric stash. If you do applique or make scrap quilts keep 1/4 yd of each fabric. Put the rest in a box or clean trash bag.

Keep a few fabrics for background and/or backing and binding.

Take the rest to your local quilt guild for their charity quilts. Or give it to a local Prayers and Squares Ministry (many churches have them).

My criteria....look at each piece of fabric....it is either:
loved the fabric when I bought it, no longer love it, will never use it in a quilt....goes into charity bag.

OR: If you say loved the fabric when I bought it, still love it and will really use it in a quilt, keep it.

I once gave our local guild 26 plastic trash bags of fabric. It was sooooo freeing and you get a tax donation slip :).
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Find a way to get back to being oriented toward people, not stuff. Can you volunteer to teach quilting for a group like 4H, girl scouts,or some shelter or the adult ed program in your area. You could use your plentiful resources that way and feel good about it.
And for the UFO's have a party of friends or a church women's group come over and bind quilts, with a door prize drawing for one of the finished projects. The finished projects donate to good causes for their raffles or sales. (Suggest prices for the items, it helps them to realize the worth.)
You are right to deal with this at this time--it is amazing how quickly a blessing can become a burden.
Once you clear out the surplus, you will find joy in the craft again, perhaps after taking a break to persue some other activity.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Good luck, Mary. I'm pulling for you!
I need to stop buying fabric, too, until I get a few of the 18 projects on my list (fabric already bought) done...but I bought for three more projects this week! Bad me...bad me...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 AM

I would like to personally come over and volunteer to watch over your stash while you are in rehab. :-)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Hello . . . . my name is "Susie, and I am a Fabric Addict"!

Do you need a roommate for rehab?