View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Latrinka

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Belong to a group originally started in USA-"Victoria's Quilts" also in Canada. Volunters sew quilts for anyone diagnosed with cancer. Goes thru all steps from fabric selection to delivering to adults home. Our small group in
Lindsay have made- think -993 in 7 yrs.
Started with a grant from Rotary Club -bought our own Gammil long arm which I have never seen because I don't work with that part but planned to this summer.
Called about one for my neighbor and she had one delivered within a few days. Have many stories/thanks. Head office says over 15,000 delivered so far -all it takes is a phone call .

Because we are a "Not for Profit" group we get a workroom donated one day a month. Sometimes kits are taken home to do the tops but we bring machines to sew the tops, have lunch and socialize. I'm helping at a quilt show TEA ROOM as a fund raiser. We figure it costs $50. each but sometimes we get donations from the family in gratitude.
Make 9 patterns (54x72in) that must have cotton top but flannel on the back because people get cold with the chemo treatments. Card enclosed lists the workers .
List is kept country wide of recipients.

Personally, I believe in this concept because together so many people are helped when we all work together.
No fees ,no dues, no personal cost just use you talent and your heart. No one is paid.
Tried to get one for a lady in Texas with breast cancer but no response in that area .
Have any of you ever heard of Victoria's Quilts?
Not the same as our Funeral Director calls a "Passage Quilt" because these are used during treatments and people survive to cuddle them for yrs ahead.
Thanks for info, requested one for my DH, starts chemo treatments July 27.