Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
End Of Life Quilt >

End Of Life Quilt

End Of Life Quilt

Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Never heard of this before but it is a great cause.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:43 PM

I make these. They are 40x40 and are justmade with squares. Some have to be light color solids. and of course cotton. The patients that just have a few weeks left get them. They write messages to their families. hand prints and just anything they want to add on them. The Family is given the quilt when the patient passes.

Also have made ven smaller ones for still borns. The nurses will put the baby hand and foot prints on them . and if possible tie aa cut piece of the baby hair on it

the usa quilt you see if also memory quilts. I'm making them for the veterans who even the hospice center I volunteer at
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 AM

We also knit or crochet Prayer Shawls that are given to those that are ill or in need of comfort.Many prayers are said while you make these shawls.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Our church quilting group makes comfort quilts. They are usually given to someone who is very ill, cancer people, or they can be given to families suffering from a different kind of trauma...ie divorce, unexpected death of a loved one, etc. We have often seen these quilts again at the loved one's funeral service or draped on the coffin at the funeral home visitation.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
For those who want a smaller project, there is also a need for tiny items for pabies who do not survive. Families are left with wrapping their little one in tissues etc so a tiny blanket would be nice especially preemie size. There are some who knit a tiny hat and rose. The rose goes to the family as a rememberance
thats what we do. 12" x 12". my little group makes the knitted hats for the ones that pass. they are so tiny. truthfully,i was surprised at how many babies don't make it at my local hospital. one of the girls that knits/crochets with us, is a nurse on the nicu.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM

I received a prayer quilt a few years ago when I had chemo. It is wonderful. I took it with me each time. A couple of friends had it made for me by one's sister's group at her church. I had never heard of them until then. It has a label on it that personalizes it. Such a thoughful & useful gift. It is still very special to me. Thank the Lord I am still fine.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by sewn3w
My Church has a similar Prayer Quilt Ministry. Volunteers make small quilts, about crib size or lap robe size. We don't quilt them. We put yarn thru as tho for tying a comforter. Then when need arises, a quilt is hung over the bannister in front of the church with a person's name pinned on. After services people tie a knot and pray for that person. They are given the quilt with a tag on the back with their name and the date. Many have been used as EOL. It's alway my prayer we never need to give out one more. But until that day. . .it's a wonderful ministry.
I love this idea. It brought tears to my eyes.