Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: End Of Life Quilt

Has anyone heard of this? A friend was told about this from a Chaplin at the hospital. The donated quilt goes to a terminally ill patient in their last days. After the person passes, the quilt is given to the family. I think this is such a wonderful idea.
    I had never heard of this till yesterday.
    I donate quilts to Project Linus. Now I also donate to this cause.

Blog Entries
    i have never heard it called that. but people do donate quilts to hospice. great idea!

Yes, I've heard of this, and you could check with your local hospitals or hospices, and they will guide you. I make Project Linus blankets. When my Dad was dying, I spent the nights on a cot in the hospital. I was making a no sew tied fleece blanket for PL. I'd lay it across his bed and he would watch me. Dad died three years ago, and I was never able to donate that blanket. I gave it to my granddaughter, who sleeps with her "Grampie Blanket" every night.

What a neat idea. We have a hospice home in our area and I bet they would like quilts. I will have to suggest this as a project for our Helping Hands committee at church.

Carol J.

That's a wonderful idea.

I have never heard of that but I will check it out.

Banned
    I have given over 20 quilts the last 5 years that went to terminally ill or very ill people. Some were dialysis patients, just elderly or very ill. When they passed on the family kept the quilt. The most memorable was just last year. My boss has a college friend that has been struggling with cancer. By the time I finished it was evident she would not survive but she loved taking her quilt for chemo. When she died I assumed her husband kept or donated the quilt. About 3 months later my favorite client walked in, hugged me and starting crying as she told me about the quilt I made her daughter and how she cherished it so much since her daughter had passed away. All that time I had no idea she was the woman's mom. It was amazing to see how much that quilt meant to the family left behind.

I did something like this for my husband. I made a signature quilt for him to take to chemo treatments because he got so cold. All his friends and family signed it, some wrote little messages to him. It reminded him of all the people who loved him. But sadly with mesothelioma there is no cure and he passed away. I did not keep the quilt, it went with him to continue to keep him warm and keep his friends with him.

Blog Entries
    YES!!! They're called Passage Quilts. You must be talking about St. Vincents. It is a wonderful, wonderful program. If you would like, you can join the quilters once a month (I think it's the third Saturday) and I highly recommend going to the supply room and reading all the thank-you notes from the families. After reading just a few, you will want to do nothing BUT make quilts for the program.

They go through 40 quilts a month. I have a nurse friend who owns 2 longarms - she quilts around 30 quilts a month for this program.

My Aunt did one for my Grandmother. I got it a week or so before she passed, but it never stayed at the nursing home, I was afraid that it would be stolen, like everything else she had there.

It's on my bed now and it has an inscription about what a great Mother-in-law she was and dated.

Banned
    There was a thread several weeks ago about this. They were being made for veterans hospitals. You might check back and read the comments.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb130
    Has anyone heard of this? A friend was told about this from a Chaplin at the hospital. The donated quilt goes to a terminally ill patient in their last days. After the person passes, the quilt is given to the family. I think this is such a wonderful idea.
    yep..I sew for a children's hospice...sadly we make them about 15 quilts a year! of course this is the ONLY children's only hospice in this area so we get kids from many counties. BUT, it is still so sad...

My Church has a similar Prayer Quilt Ministry. Volunteers make small quilts, about crib size or lap robe size. We don't quilt them. We put yarn thru as tho for tying a comforter. Then when need arises, a quilt is hung over the bannister in front of the church with a person's name pinned on. After services people tie a knot and pray for that person. They are given the quilt with a tag on the back with their name and the date. Many have been used as EOL. It's alway my prayer we never need to give out one more. But until that day. . .it's a wonderful ministry.

The Lakota Sioux send a quilt along with the loved one who is making their journey to see our ancestors.

Blog Entries
    We have a Hospice cart on each unit that staff may get a quilt from for patients on Hospice, or in comfort care status. These quilts are made by cvolunteers in our community.

Blog Entries
    This is such a loving act.

Blog Entries
    What a good idea, I also donate fabric I will not use to a local group that does charity quilts. They take even the smallest scraps. I go through my fabric and always find pieces I can not figure out why I bought and know I won't use. Makes me feel better about it all.

What is the floral wreath pattern you have pictured, beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I would be willing to do this but who exactly do I contact?

all these people must be really speedy in making quilts.
    One day I will find a quilting group It is so peaceful to maketing with yur hands no matter what it is.

Hopefully I will be able to get started on this kind of stuff when I am done with the quilts from my husbands cloths

Quote Originally Posted by joym
    I would be willing to do this but who exactly do I contact?
    You could contact your local hospital or hospice program.

Quote Originally Posted by cackie88
    What a good idea, I also donate fabric I will not use to a local group that does charity quilts. They take even the smallest scraps. I go through my fabric and always find pieces I can not figure out why I bought and know I won't use. Makes me feel better about it all.

What is the floral wreath pattern you have pictured, beautiful.
    The floral wreath pattern can be found at.
    http://www.mhquiltdesigns.com/

Blog Entries
    I believe it was yesterday on here that someone mentioned "PASSAGE QUILTS" meaning basically the same thing. What a great idea.

Blog Entries
    That is a wonderful project as is Project Linus.
    Would you post a larger picture of your avatar. It is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb130
    yep..I sew for a children's hospice...sadly we make them about 15 quilts a year! of course this is the ONLY children's only hospice in this area so we get kids from many counties. BUT, it is still so sad...
    Yes, this is a wonderful program. I am a former Volunteer Coordinator for Hospices.... your hours of preparation for your quilts/throws is a tremendous asset for the Hospice... I had many who made them for our patients and you need to contact the Volunteer Coordinator of your local Hospice. She will be delighted to have you on the role!!!! The Families of the Patients will appreciate this lifetime gift from you...

For those who want a smaller project, there is also a need for tiny items for pabies who do not survive. Families are left with wrapping their little one in tissues etc so a tiny blanket would be nice especially preemie size. There are some who knit a tiny hat and rose. The rose goes to the family as a rememberance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast