Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
End Of Life Quilt >

End Of Life Quilt

End Of Life Quilt

Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Barb130
Has anyone heard of this? A friend was told about this from a Chaplin at the hospital. The donated quilt goes to a terminally ill patient in their last days. After the person passes, the quilt is given to the family. I think this is such a wonderful idea.
I had never heard of this till yesterday.
I donate quilts to Project Linus. Now I also donate to this cause.
Yes this is what the Hospices unit at the Veteran Hospital does. When we give quilts to their hospice patients, the quilts goes to the family once the patient has passed.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM

I made a quilt for my sister who too was undergoing chemo. She was always cold and the chemo room was cold as well. Everytime she went to the hospital for anything she took her quilt. It was on her everyday or at least close by. It was on her hospital bed in her home The night she died. It was then placed on the foot of her coffin for visitatioon and her funeral. I now have it back, and it is the most cherished quilt I own or have evere made. We sometimes never know how much our quilts we make for others mean to the ones we give them too!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM

What a great idea - will have to look into this - I know my dad had a special quilt made for him by one of my DH's cousins. He loved it!!! It was "misplaced" at the nursing home and another patients name put on it. We walked the halls until we stumbled across it-he slept alot better once his quilt was found-I have it now and sleep with it at nite - I have taken it with me when visiting others homes too. A piece of dad and home.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 PM

My church ladies make fleece blankets and give to the nursing homes, battered women's shelters and elderly people we know of--always much appreciated!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Our guild made quilts for a local nursing home. The family of one of the receipients told us that she loved the quilt so much because it reminded her of her mother and grandmother and that she wanted to be buried with it. They did bury her with it. We were so happy that it brought her so much joy.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM

I was making a quilt for my mom to take to chemo, but I hadn't gotten it finished when she died. If we'd had a funeral, I would have finished it quickly and tucked it in with her. But it seemed to be wasteful IMO since she was cremated. I guess I'll get it out and finish it for my aunt, my mother's sister, who was there for her the last few days. But I'm still not feeling energetic enough to sew (I haven't done anything since my brother called with the news). Maybe I'm getting ready, I was at a store and bought some different fabric for a postage stamp quilt I've been working on a little.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Belong to a group originally started in USA-"Victoria's Quilts" also in Canada. Volunters sew quilts for anyone diagnosed with cancer. Goes thru all steps from fabric selection to delivering to adults home. Our small group in
Lindsay have made- think -993 in 7 yrs.
Started with a grant from Rotary Club -bought our own Gammil long arm which I have never seen because I don't work with that part but planned to this summer.
Called about one for my neighbor and she had one delivered within a few days. Have many stories/thanks. Head office says over 15,000 delivered so far -all it takes is a phone call .

Because we are a "Not for Profit" group we get a workroom donated one day a month. Sometimes kits are taken home to do the tops but we bring machines to sew the tops, have lunch and socialize. I'm helping at a quilt show TEA ROOM as a fund raiser. We figure it costs $50. each but sometimes we get donations from the family in gratitude.
Make 9 patterns (54x72in) that must have cotton top but flannel on the back because people get cold with the chemo treatments. Card enclosed lists the workers .
List is kept country wide of recipients.

Personally, I believe in this concept because together so many people are helped when we all work together.
No fees ,no dues, no personal cost just use you talent and your heart. No one is paid.
Tried to get one for a lady in Texas with breast cancer but no response in that area .
Have any of you ever heard of Victoria's Quilts?
Not the same as our Funeral Director calls a "Passage Quilt" because these are used during treatments and people survive to cuddle them for yrs ahead.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM

THE QUILT I MADE THAT FOR MY HUSBAND WAS BURIED WITH HIM FROM THE TIME I STARTED IT TILL IT WAS DONE HE SAID THATS MY QUILT SO IT WENT WITH HIM AND FOREVER I WILL THINK OF HIM AND THE JOY IT GAVE HIM
Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Belong to a group originally started in USA-"Victoria's Quilts" also in Canada. Volunters sew quilts for anyone diagnosed with cancer. Goes thru all steps from fabric selection to delivering to adults home. Our small group in
Lindsay have made- think -993 in 7 yrs.
Started with a grant from Rotary Club -bought our own Gammil long arm which I have never seen because I don't work with that part but planned to this summer.
Called about one for my neighbor and she had one delivered within a few days. Have many stories/thanks. Head office says over 15,000 delivered so far -all it takes is a phone call .

Because we are a "Not for Profit" group we get a workroom donated one day a month. Sometimes kits are taken home to do the tops but we bring machines to sew the tops, have lunch and socialize. I'm helping at a quilt show TEA ROOM as a fund raiser. We figure it costs $50. each but sometimes we get donations from the family in gratitude.
Make 9 patterns (54x72in) that must have cotton top but flannel on the back because people get cold with the chemo treatments. Card enclosed lists the workers .
List is kept country wide of recipients.

Personally, I believe in this concept because together so many people are helped when we all work together.
No fees ,no dues, no personal cost just use you talent and your heart. No one is paid.
Tried to get one for a lady in Texas with breast cancer but no response in that area .
Have any of you ever heard of Victoria's Quilts?
Not the same as our Funeral Director calls a "Passage Quilt" because these are used during treatments and people survive to cuddle them for yrs ahead.
Thanks for info, requested one for my DH, starts chemo treatments July 27.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 AM

I think that is a wonderful program, we make small quilts for the Highway Patrol they carry them in the trunk of there vehicles and when a child is in an accident they give them one to help calm them down.