View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Moon Holiday

Creative people can be so hard on themselves! A quilter will see every imperfection, while others see only the amount of work and the beauty. Every slight flaw in a quilt screams out...glaringly to the one who made it! Outsiders don't see beyond the impressive amount of work put into the quilt. And unless you constantly point out what you refer to as the flaws, no one will notice. So relax. Your quilt top is coming along great and you don't need to make extra work for yourself or give up on the quilt. Someday this will become a favorite quilt for someone and all they'll see is the love put into it.

Back in mid 1980s, my DH and I were at a small quilt show in Concord MA area admiring the work of a very talented group of contemporary quilters. I was in awe looking at one particular quilt and commented to the woman standing next to me about how amazing it was, and how I envied this kind of talent. The woman, who I didn't know was the person who made the quilt, started pointing out the "flaws". Then she told me it was her quilt. Honestly, I never saw the flaws... I was just impressed and inspired, and I told her so. By the way, this quilt won best in show!