Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM
quiltswithdogs

classes.......
Never having been around any quilters- ever, I did take some classes to learn the basics. Then my daily Great Fatigue started when I got Rheumatoid Arthritis and I found out, twice, that I cannot make it through a class. After that, I stuck with familiar patterns. Eventually, I began to try new, easy patterns I found, so my repetoire has broadened somewhat. My opinion is that classes are valuable for the beginner with nobody who can teach basic techniques. For example, I don't think I ever would've thought of chain-piecing on my own. After beginnerhood, a class is useful to learn newer or more difficult methods or patterns.
socializing ......
Before RA I also went to a LQS block of the month lesson and a monthly gathering to group quilt for local homeless shelters. I had to stop those too. So now, all of you are my only quilter friends, for whom I'm very grateful. I still have much to learn. It's really too bad I didn't start earlier in life instead of at age 50. I only had 2 years before things changed so much for me. I could've already learned so much by now. Well, at least I'm back to quilting and I found you to chat with and learn from... yeaaay! I've already learned new block patterns on the BOM here. (I know, I know, I'm supposed to post photos... and I will as soon as I can borrow a camera and learn how). Besides this great opportunity here, I think that socialization might be better obtained instead of classes, from clubs or friends and Quilt Retreats (sound so fun!).
Cathy