View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 AM
tlrnhi

my house is made of cement and ALL my floors are tile, to include the baseboards!
Today was one of Courtney's short days at work, so I spend the 3 hours in town instead of driving back home.
Had a nice morning having coffee with a friend just chit-chatting, then went to the store and back to get Courtney. We come home, drive into the carport and there's water on the carport. I looked at Courtney and said....it didn't rain, why is there water all over the carport? So, I unlock the door and a 2 inch waterfall of water rushes out. Coming down the stairs is a nice waterfall. I run up the stairs, kicking off my slippahs and into Courtney's bathroom. Her toilet is spewing water all over. I get the water shut off and try to figure out WHY the drain in the bathroom didn't work and notice the drain is covered by papers. The water knocked over her trashcan, it wasn't full, so the papers floated out and covered the drain. Her bedroom AND my sewing room are on the 2d floor. Only water on 2d floor was a little bit under a small table and chair I have at the stairs. BUT...the entire 1st floor has about an inch and half of water. Kitchen, livingroom AND dining room. Not to mention the downstairs bathroom. Drain wasn't working well in that bathroom because water wetted down box of catlitter and it fell apart, partially covering that drain. We have a storage area under the stairs that has a 2 inch stepdown to it. Yup! Water up to the top of that too! EVERYTHING had to come out. We worked continuously for 3 hours, ok, we took a 10 min break. We got it all cleaned up. Used EVERY towel in the house to do it. Emptied the shopvac 47 times. Yup, I counted! Once we had everything pretty much done, I called Bill. He was at work on the ship and was to be there overnight. Told him what happened and he came home. Sure, we are pretty much done, well...laundry room needed cleaning too...water got in there, but the drain worked in that room. Go figure!
So, my house is a mess, my body aches very badly and I just want to crawl into bed and not come out for a few days.
I finally did get back into Courtneys bathroom to see what was going on and why there was water. The coupling on the toilet cracked...stupid plastic! So, now I get to go to Home Depot in the morning after taking Courtney to work and get the part I need to fix toilet.
I'm just SOOO happy nothing got ruined. Water did get under the feet of my curio cabinet, but I think it will be ok. I sopped up the water, dried around it as best I could and there are 2 fan blowing on the legs/feet to make sure it is dry, dry, dry!
Anyone want to come help me put all the stuff back where it belongs in 2 days? That's how long we need to wait to make sure the cubby under the stairs is dry.
Can I have a DO-OVER for today????