Old 05-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Nita

Though I already made an entry, I hope you don't mind if I indulge myself with a second entry on this topic. After reading through, I just want to throw in my two cents regarding quilt guild.

There seems to be a great deal of misconception regarding quilt guild. I've belonged to a quilt guild for 3 years and have never felt like I was being judged by the "quilt police". Granted, there are quilters who are WAY more experienced than I, but all members are made to feel welcomed and valued ...... from novice to expert. Moneywise, it is the best value for my dollar;I believe the membership dues are only $25/year. We have had reknowned quilters come to speak to our group, the most recent of which was Sue Nickels. Didn't cost me one extra penny to be in on that lecture and, let me tell you, she was phenominal. She did offer optional classes which, as a guild member, had a fee attached of only $25 for 3 hour session. Not a bad deal, when you figure you are being taught by a nationally acclaimed quilter! Yes, there are several "more mature" members in our guild, but age difference doesn't seem to matter among quilters. The way I see it, some of these "more mature" women have a whole lot of experience to share with us if we are open enough to learn from them. Also, there were comments about being "forced" to do certain things? Well the guild is run by its members, so it only stands to reason that everyone SHOULD take their turn at helping out in some way. There are plenty of committees to pick and choose from. For the past two years I have volunteered to Chair the Holiday Party;Alot of work, but even more fun. My guild does a ton of charitible giving but, again, no one is counting when it comes to what members contribute. Well, thanks for bearing with me as I ramble on. I just felt that quilt guild was getting a bad rap and all I can say is don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I am very grateful to be a part of such a terrific organization.