Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Jamiestitcher62

Originally Posted by fratcat
It will only take one good argument between those two and the territory will be chosen. I would just let them out to get to know each other. the kitten you already have might just take your place and baby the new kitten. You have to let them get to know each other on their own terms. You protecting the new one is just going to make the older one more jealous as if you like the new kitten better. I have 7 and each time I have put a new one in the house, I just let them all be together and they calm down faster that way. I do not show any favoritism over one cat. good luck, they will be fine.
Hi, thanks for that info. My Schmoo is 9 years old and the new cat is 1 1/2. We let them out together the second day and Schmoo ate the new kitties food. Now we find out that the new kitty has an upper respiratory infection with presented itself on Monday morning after Schmoo had contact with her. Crap, now I'll have two sick cats. So the new kitty goes off to the vet and I find out that the shelter which told me she was Kitty Aids and Leukemia free, never tested her. I freaked because she had been with my Schmoo already. I paid for the text and it was negative thank God.

So $162.00 later after giving the shelter a $100 plus an extra $100 to help out another kitty and bringing them 5-20 lb. bags of dry cat food, I'm a little ticked that they didn't tell me they didn't do the test. They just said that she was clean and didn't have anything communicable.

I told them it would have been nice if they had just told me that I would have paid for the test before I even brought the cat home.

Anyway, she's resting comfortably in her room, quarantened for 7 days with antibiotics. That's fun.