View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
MCH

I have a Kitchen Aid FL and dryer; both sit on the pedestals / drawers.

It seems the clothes are cleaner. The spin cycles greatly reduce the amount of moisture in the clothes at the end of the cycle, making drying time less.

I've washed a king-size matlasse coverlet in it; no capacity issues. Also have washed a queen size quilt in it, as well as a twin size quilt. All items came out fine and looked great out of the dryer.

Here's my latest story, re: a front-loading washer and dryer. I washed 3 acrylic sweaters I wore in high school (several decades ago)in the washing machine this week. I used the delicate cycle for washing and same for the dryer. They came out looking brand new and sparkling clean. One of the sweaters was hand-knitted for me in ~ 1964 by my now-husband's grandmother. No damage or any sort to them.

Addendum: I also have washed and dried my baptismal dress from 1953 (organdy, eyelet, and lace) in those same machines. Same results as with the 3 sweaters.

My only criticism of the front-loading washer is that it's a bit dark when looking into the tub to be sure all the items are out. Big deal...

BTW, if you pull out the drawer in the pedestal, it makes a great place to put the laundry basket for transferring laundry into the washer and out of the dryer.

Go with the front loader. IMHO