Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Opinions Please on  Washing Machine >

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Old 07-22-2011, 04:56 PM

We had a repairman tell us a couple of years ago that LG products are a problem a few years ago. We had a minor problem with our refrigerator (under warranty) and the repairman told us that if it was an LG they'd have to replace the entire door rather than the small part as they didn't make the parts. I've stayed away from LG products and often wondered if what he said was true. I live in the East so it isn't just in your area either.
Originally Posted by sailsablazin
I have a Whirlpool front loader and dryer. I do like them since a normal load holds double what my 23 year old Maytag used to hold. I can now wash sleeping bags instead of going to the laundromat. The washer does sound like a helicopter when it spins (makes it interesting, since we are in the helicopter flight path from our local hospital). The normal wash cycle takes 50 minutes. The dryer is much shorter since the washer really spins the clothes out.

The repairman warned me about the LG (sorry, ladies). He says that they cannot get parts for LG since they come from overseas. A customer has been waiting for 5 months for parts for a refrigerator still under warranty.
Since I am tall, I definitely bought the pedestal drawers under them and store all of my detergent here(buy it on sale and stockpile). Had to raise a cupboard since the machines with pedestal drawers are really tall.
I would have kept my old Maytag if the dryer hadn't died.

The new front loading Maytags are nothing but trouble--from my friend and the repairman. My friend had 7 service calls on it in the first year and then bought a Whirlpool). Whirlpool has bought out most of the other brands, but still makes them and puts Kenmore and other names on their machines. I did lots of research before I bought and bought directly from Whirlpool and saved a ton of money.

You do have to leave the door and soap dispenser ajar so that it doesn't get musty (no big deal for me). I stick a hand towel in the door so that the kids don't close it accidentally. Oh and I wanted a stainless steel interior so that it did not chip and rust. Whew!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM

according to the DEP here in NJ, the front-loaders get clothes cleaner and are cheaper to run because they use a fraction of the amount of water. BUT have you seen the comparative prices? i looked at them at the Home Depot and they are a lot more than top loaders. i thought it would save my back if i didn't have to keep bending all the way over to empty the top-loader but the front-loader had me bending also.

in my case, the immediate cost will be the determining factor.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM

I considered one of those machines but now that they have been out awhile they have found to cause illness due to the gathering of mold inside. Also, the reviews are not what they were at first.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 PM

I have a front loader and will never again own a top loading. My clothes are always clean and I'm more inclined to use cold water on colored clothes than I was before. Love my machine.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Learner747
I considered one of those machines but now that they have been out awhile they have found to cause illness due to the gathering of mold inside. Also, the reviews are not what they were at first.
I have had front loaders most of my life and have never had a problem with mold. I did have a top loader after my divorce and would never get another one - they are much harder on clothes than front loaders.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM

The reports say that the mold forms under the rubber seal around the door.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM

We bought a Whirlpool Top loader...just last month... don't know the model... but the lid locks and you have to be careful when unlocking it because it will drain and restart the cycle... I've had to make sure that I have ALL the laundry in before starting...
The water doesn't start filling till the lid is locked so you can't rinse out the cup if you use liquid detergent
Another thing is the liquid fabric softener dispenser has to be wiped out because it has no water flowing into the dispenser.
It does get the clothes clean... but the things I listed are the most frustrating...
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM

What is your washer doing?I fixed both my washing machine,and my well pump in one day.Googled both,and came up with the solutions,and fixed them myself.Didn't cost me a thing either.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by GAgal
Had a front loader. Lasted 1 week past the warranty. Wouldn't buy another one. It was so noisy when spinning. Sounded like a jet engine taking off.

I now have a top loader without an agitator. LOVE it! It is a GE Profile. There is a connection between the washer and dryer to tell the dryer what you just washed and it knows how long to dry it. Love doing laundry with this setup.
Can I bring mine over? :lol:
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM

I live on the road in a motorhome, but had a w/d unit installed. I had never heard of this before, but mine is a front loader that washes clothes and then the cycle changes to a dryer. Don't have to switch clothes from one machine to another and doesn't take up much space (a huge plus for us). It gets clothes cleaner than a regular top loader, but takes forever to dry.