Old 05-22-2009, 04:03 PM
omak

Originally Posted by camillacamilla
I was working on a Mariner's star quilt, with the background being black/gray fabric to imitate the nighttime sky. My Dh was not meaning to be negative, and he thought the workmanship was lovely..BUT he had never seen a quilt with so much black, and said it looked evil. lol. Okay the evil part is funny. Him saying he didn't like the colors has kind of made me lose interest. I know it only matters what I think, but I just can't get my interest back in it. Do I just shelve it and go onto something else, or force myself to complete it?
No, you don't shelve it. I, like the others would like to see a picture, but I have had a lot of experience of people not understanding the big picture. Sometimes, color ways are like sausage ... the process isn't appealing, but the finished project? Yum! Anyway, when someone runs in to color ways that they don't understand, they say so. But, when the whole project gets done, they have to change their mind. I made a spool quilt one time and was describing the colors to my mom. Red, yellow, green, blue, and black background. The thought was bothersome to her, but when she finally saw the finished project, she was amazed!
When I made a Victory quilt for a lady, she instructed that she wanted black background. Can you imagine red, white, and blue Victory blocks with a black background??? It was GORGEOUS! But, I wasn't so sure when I took the order.

The lady with the western quilt - - beautiful! But, then, I am a cowboy girl, so you can do all that you want, none of it would be bad.
I'm not sure what the hangup is, but the one thing I do know - - the man you married is worth more than any quilty differences. A human is always more important than any material object. I am interested in the fact that he took so much interest in the quilt that he even made templates! If he isn't quilting all ready, I know what my plan for his life would be <g>. Is this a talent/interest you didn't know he had? If you have been partners in life for 24 years, then obviously you are learning to work together in a way not imagined before ... growing together can be a challenge, most definitely a refining exercise. If the hardest thing you ever have to do in your marriage is make a quilt the way he wants it, I would think you are getting a good bargain. When my mind goes into rebellion, and the thing I am looking at isn't illegal, illogical, immoral, or unethical, I absolutely know that Someone has something for me to learn, and I will appreciate the learning. {{{Hugs}}}} for both of you. First for you and then from your husbands - - men who pay attention to what you are doing it is a compliment. (at least from what I have noticed in your typing <g>)