Thread: frugalness!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 02:47 AM
plainpat

I know what you mean.Even when my Mom had her family,there wasn't a nickle to spare.They had 4 kids & one job.But guess what...we didn't know we were poor,cause everyone was in the same boat.My MIL washed foil & plastic wrap......made veggies they grew for a main course...as in beans with a tiny amt of meat,home made bread & home grown berries.FILs car was used only for work & church.The bill paying/grocery run happened after work, once or twice a mo.....they knew how to manage money.
They never owed a dime....never used a credit card.It was cash or do without.

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
I come from a family of 13. Father was a laborer and money tight. My mother could squeeze a nickle until the buffalo snorted. We had nutrious meals from scratch. No vegetables were discarded, bones, broth were kept until then end of the week and then the refrigerator was cleaned out. Wonderful vegetable soup. Even Spagetti was thrown in the pot. Mother shopped the bargins. Coupons weren't available. Outgrown clothing was either traded or fabric cut out for quilts. We did have a vegetable garden. Grandfather had fruit trees and we canned bushels of fruit.