Thread: primitive decor
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Ramona Byrd

You can make a lot of it yourself. Apple head dolls, rag rugs, either hooked or crocheted, quilted pillows. And I have a very cute knee high old horse, made from a 20 inch long section of a tree, with smaller sticks for legs and raveled rope as a tail and mane. The eyes are simply dug out and small stones glued in them.
Hunt up old pictures of people at home and pay attention to their backgrounds. You'll find a surprisingly large amount of details that way.

Should you find a cute,old fashioned table or chair side table, you could sand down parts of it that you think would have gotten a hundred years of banging by people passing by.

Antique dealers sometimes "distress" old but pretty pieces that are not old enough or old looking enough to sell for high prices, so they make them look older than they really are.

Your quilts will brighten up any room, and if you look around, you'll find a lot of places to give that certain touch that you'll love.

I was raised in the hills right above Milton, WV and remember a lot of the cabins some of my folks lived in. They were filled with warmth and love and good odors from good cooking, and lots of early Montgomery Wards and late attic rescues, but filled with lots of loving care.