primitive decor

Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Just wondering for those of you who also like primitive......Anyone have ideas where the best place is to purchase (online) primitivie, country style decor that is low cost (I'm on a budget). I've googled several sites but items are still pretty expensive. I know I can make my own pictures by ordering poster prints from sites like posterart.com etc and frame them myself since I already have a ton of frames. I don't particularly like the old "dark" look like most of the primitive, vintage etc. but like the more modern primitive look (if that makes sense). I want stuff that is going to match my quilts too. Would love your ideas.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Don't think I'm any help, but do know what you mean about the darker things... I love old teddy bears, and put some old timey or faded doll or child dress on some of them.

Also, would love to have one of those old footstools that were made from large juice cans tied together and upholstered in whatever... Finding the big cans would be the hard part, I guess.

Old cutter quilts look great on tables with old stuff displayed on them... If you don't have any & can't find some at garage sales, you can make something and put it out in the sun for a few days to fade..

Punched tin lanterns or anything is great primitive look...

My taste is stuck somewhere between where I came from and where I am now... and my furniture is very eclective. I like it that way! So mix it up and see what happens..

Oh yes, crocheted valances over windows is part of the look for me. Bought them cheap at K-Mart a couple of years ago.

Let me know what you do please! I'm always interested in sharing ideas and would love to see yours. I can post a few pics later today... after a funeral...
Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Look for posters and prints by Warren Kimble. He is one of my favorite primitive folk artists. Haunt antique and collectible shops, you will be surprised the bargains that can be found.

Several years ago I got a little booklet called "Pastimes" by Whimisicals. Tons of cute patterns for pillows, wall hangings, table runners and even hook rugs. The book is still available and they have loads of others too.

http://www.whimsicalquilts.com/-products-.htm
Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Pier One or World Market??
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 PM

try flea markets, second-hand shops, GoodWill, Salvation Army store.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by graciemae
Just wondering for those of you who also like primitive......Anyone have ideas where the best place is to purchase (online) primitivie, country style decor that is low cost (I'm on a budget). I've googled several sites but items are still pretty expensive. I know I can make my own pictures by ordering poster prints from sites like posterart.com etc and frame them myself since I already have a ton of frames. I don't particularly like the old "dark" look like most of the primitive, vintage etc. but like the more modern primitive look (if that makes sense). I want stuff that is going to match my quilts too. Would love your ideas.
I belong to a Prim group on FB...PM me for more info!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM

You can make a lot of it yourself. Apple head dolls, rag rugs, either hooked or crocheted, quilted pillows. And I have a very cute knee high old horse, made from a 20 inch long section of a tree, with smaller sticks for legs and raveled rope as a tail and mane. The eyes are simply dug out and small stones glued in them.
Hunt up old pictures of people at home and pay attention to their backgrounds. You'll find a surprisingly large amount of details that way.

Should you find a cute,old fashioned table or chair side table, you could sand down parts of it that you think would have gotten a hundred years of banging by people passing by.

Antique dealers sometimes "distress" old but pretty pieces that are not old enough or old looking enough to sell for high prices, so they make them look older than they really are.

Your quilts will brighten up any room, and if you look around, you'll find a lot of places to give that certain touch that you'll love.

I was raised in the hills right above Milton, WV and remember a lot of the cabins some of my folks lived in. They were filled with warmth and love and good odors from good cooking, and lots of early Montgomery Wards and late attic rescues, but filled with lots of loving care.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 AM

I also have an eclectic mix in my house. The most primitive looking pieces all came from trash picking, believe it or not. For example, I found the 6-pane window of an old house, all worn and weathered. I didn't paint it, only sealed it, and it now hangs on the wall as a frame for some old black and white family photos. To display my quilts, I have two old wooden ladders faded and worn, with some of the original white paint showing. Each has 6 rungs, and I have the quilts folded and draped over them. It works for display and storage. I also have an old iron headboard that I use in the garden as a trellis for a clematis. Buying primitives can be very expensive. But I think its more fun to see what you can find around you then find a new way to use it.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 AM

I find most of my primitive furniture and accessories at yard sales, estate sales and flea markets. I have found a few beautiful things along the side of the road too!