View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
MargeD
Power Poster

While I agree that you see simpler quilts in a lot of the magazines, but the ones that I subscribe to also have quilts that are a little bit more challenging. When teaching new quilters to quilt, you need to have blocks that are easily made, easy to put together, and most of all something that can be done in a short amount of time. I've been quilting for over 25 years and while there are times I like to be challenged in making a quilt, other times I want something that can be done quickly and easily. I recently made the Sister's Choice block for our family reunion quilt in memory of my sister. This block appeared many years ago in an older quilt magazine that I had kept. That particular magazine also had a "what if" segment about how you could make that block uniquely your own. Although Sister's Choice was a traditional quilt block, it kept appearing in newer and newer magazines, and always with a new twist. When I began to see that block over and over - I knew it was the block to use. The quilt turned out even better than I hoped and my family loved it, as well as my niece who won the quilt. I believe there are new quilt magazines out there with more advanced projects so keep an open mind and you will be inspired to make that unique quilt.