View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Jo Belmont

I've seen recently several who lost their Favorites (sites you often visit - free pattern links, etc.) and would like to share how to save them to your regular computer back ups. This will work whether you're doing your own backups on disc or to an outside backup source, etc.

It's an import/export thing and a really nice thing is that I can copy my list of favorites over to my laptop so I have full function even on the road.

Send a back-up list to your Documents folder. Your computer is designed to put the list in the right format for export/import. (And if you should need to restore it back to your favorites as with new or reformatted computer, just reverse the process with an >Import command instead of export and the computer does the rest.)

Here's how to do it.

STEP 1. Tell the computer you want to export your Favorites.

Go to Internet Explorer (or Foxfire, etc.).
If Windows 7, click the little down arrow to the right of "Add to Favorites." You'll see the Import/Export choice on the small drop-down menu. CLICK >EXPORT

If XP, you'll might find your Import/Export choice on the >File drop-down menu. CLICK >EXPORT

(The rest of the steps should work for either Windows 7 or XP. Mac users, I'm not sure, but I expect the concept is the same.)

STEP 2. When you have clicked >Export, you'll get another drop-down with 3 choices. Select >EXPORT TO A FILE, and at the bottom of the menu, click >NEXT

STEP 3. From a new drop-down menu with 3 choices, select >FAVORITES. Then click >NEXT.

STEP 4. A list of your favorites will appear. Just make sure the overall >FAVORITES is what is highlighted/selected. Click >NEXT.

STEP 5. A new screen appears showing a file path to your documents which automatically labels this file as "bookmark." You can add a date, etc. or change the entire name if you wish as long as you insert it before the ".htm" Click >EXPORT

STEP 6. The next screen shows the file you selected (Favorites) with a green check. Click >FINISH.

It's almost instantaneously set up in your Documents file which is the targeted file for most backups. If you have a computer failure, you can restore your Favorites with a simple reverse process using Import.

Here's a summary (easier to follow):

>Add to Favorites
>Import/Export
>Favorites
>Export
>Finish

Hope this helps. I know I would be up the creek without my favorites.