Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HOW TO SAVE YOUR FAVORITES LINKS >

HOW TO SAVE YOUR FAVORITES LINKS

HOW TO SAVE YOUR FAVORITES LINKS

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM

I've seen recently several who lost their Favorites (sites you often visit - free pattern links, etc.) and would like to share how to save them to your regular computer back ups. This will work whether you're doing your own backups on disc or to an outside backup source, etc.

It's an import/export thing and a really nice thing is that I can copy my list of favorites over to my laptop so I have full function even on the road.

Send a back-up list to your Documents folder. Your computer is designed to put the list in the right format for export/import. (And if you should need to restore it back to your favorites as with new or reformatted computer, just reverse the process with an >Import command instead of export and the computer does the rest.)

Here's how to do it.

STEP 1. Tell the computer you want to export your Favorites.

Go to Internet Explorer (or Foxfire, etc.).
If Windows 7, click the little down arrow to the right of "Add to Favorites." You'll see the Import/Export choice on the small drop-down menu. CLICK >EXPORT

If XP, you'll might find your Import/Export choice on the >File drop-down menu. CLICK >EXPORT

(The rest of the steps should work for either Windows 7 or XP. Mac users, I'm not sure, but I expect the concept is the same.)

STEP 2. When you have clicked >Export, you'll get another drop-down with 3 choices. Select >EXPORT TO A FILE, and at the bottom of the menu, click >NEXT

STEP 3. From a new drop-down menu with 3 choices, select >FAVORITES. Then click >NEXT.

STEP 4. A list of your favorites will appear. Just make sure the overall >FAVORITES is what is highlighted/selected. Click >NEXT.

STEP 5. A new screen appears showing a file path to your documents which automatically labels this file as "bookmark." You can add a date, etc. or change the entire name if you wish as long as you insert it before the ".htm" Click >EXPORT

STEP 6. The next screen shows the file you selected (Favorites) with a green check. Click >FINISH.

It's almost instantaneously set up in your Documents file which is the targeted file for most backups. If you have a computer failure, you can restore your Favorites with a simple reverse process using Import.

Here's a summary (easier to follow):

>Add to Favorites
>Import/Export
>Favorites
>Export
>Finish

Hope this helps. I know I would be up the creek without my favorites.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Thanks for all of your information!

I save my links on my free blogs, that way they are always there and easy to share with others around the world

Karen, Craftybear
Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

Thanks for all of your information!

I save my links on my free blogs, that way they are always there and easy to share with others around the world

Karen, Craftybear
That's an even better idea. One of these days I'll get in gear and get a blog up and running too. Such good stuff available in them.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Awesome! Thanks so much!! Now....can you tell us how to alphabetize them? LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Yep. When you click your list of favorites - after the list has displayed - place your cursor over the list and RIGHT click. In the small drop-down menu that will display near your cursor, one of the many choices will be to >Sort by Name. LEFT click on >Sort by Name and it will do all of them.

New ones added after that, however, will go to the bottom of the list. Just do the above >Sort again and they'll all be in order.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
Yep. When you click your list of favorites - after the list has displayed - place your cursor over the list and RIGHT click. In the small drop-down menu that will display near your cursor, one of the many choices will be to >Sort by Name. LEFT click on >Sort by Name and it will do all of them.

New ones added after that, however, will go to the bottom of the list. Just do the above >Sort again and they'll all be in order.
I don't have that choice :( Mine says:
add to fav
add current tabs to favs
import/export
organize
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 AM

I use Xmarks to synchronize mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmarks

http://www.xmarks.com/
Old 07-27-2011, 05:27 AM

I don't have that choice :( Mine says:
add to fav
add current tabs to favs
import/export
organize
I think if you click on your >import/export, you should be on your way.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I wasn't even aware of this. It's good to know of other options. However, in reading about it, it appears they may be charging for this service in the future, albeit quite nominal. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I wasn't even aware of this. It's good to know of other options. However, in reading about it, it appears they may be charging for this service in the future, albeit quite nominal. Thanks for the info.
I've been with them since they were Foxmarks and have yet to be charged.