Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
pennyswings

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by JoanneS
First, your heart blocks are absolutely gorgeous. I've never seen this version of a Dresden Plate before, and I love it :D

My comment is about the batting. Polar fleece stretches, so pin well before quilting - every 3 inches if you have enough safety pins! I know this from sad experience :x :x :x For machine quilting, you should pin-baste - not thread baste, because threads that get caught in the machine quilting are notoriously hard to remove :cry: If you lived in the US and had access to a quilt store, I would suggest cotton batting for machine quilting (or 80% cotton, 20% poly), because I've found it works best for me. You could consider bringing that back from your next trip to the states.
Joanne:
Thanks for your advice on the polar fleece. You are right it stretches a lot. I use the pinning method they taught me in the quilting store I use to go to. Always pin a hand width apart. I have small hands so when I make a fist I measure side width which for me is about 3 1/2 inches. The hardest time I have is with how much it stretches. It is hard to get it to lay flat and not have it stretch too much. Did my oldest grandson's Christmas quilt in that. Thank God I had a walking foot or I would never been able to quilt it. You are also right about trying to pull the stitches out, it is hard to do.
Thank you for your tips. I really appreciate it.
Read you and you DH are going on a cruise to Spain and France. Read the thread that Elle has been writing on about the material Terri sent her. Hope you both have a wonderful time.
My sister who taught me to quilt name is JoAnne. Just an anticdote.