View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Sewfine

Originally Posted by marytoddliz
I sew to help supplement my early retirement. I have made everything from doll clothes to wedding dresses to Nomex racing suits, but it is getting harder to make a profit. Craft shows are fun, but so much work and I think the thing that has hurt sewing for a living the most in my opinion is imports. Even making beautiful quilts for sale there are so many imports being sold for a minor amount of money the profit margin is really effecting the home crafter. Currently I am making quilts from tee shirts collected by my customers... Untill you get customers who can't pay after you have put in 100's of hours. Like many of the others have said the joy of sewing for friends and family keeps me stitching. I love the crocheted Teddy Bear, Sewfine, it is very cute.
and... Fat is relative, when I talk of myself I say fat, when I talk of others I say fluffy... ;-)

When people ask me to make something for them, I figure out the cost of the materials including the thread, interfacing, notions and how long it takes me to make it. Whatever the cost adds up to, they have to put down a deposit (half of the cost, no checks). Deposits are none refundable. I don't do clothes for others; just myself, children and grands. I have a fun and part time job.