Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a living from sewing >

Making a living from sewing

Making a living from sewing

Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM

I used to try to sew for a part time income. Where I live no one wants to pay for home sewing. I finally decided that if I was going to sew it would be the things I wanted to make and not sew for people who didn't appreciate my talents or abilities. I don't sew for money anymore, if I sew for others it is friends or family members and I don't charge.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM

I used to do crafts - crochet etc. - but no more. My neighbor and I did the craft show circuit for a couple of years and didn't even make minimum wage so we gave it up. I ony make quilts for family. As ssomeone replied, people just aren't willing to pay when they can go to Wal-Mart and get a cheap Chinese knockoff.
I think the situation is even worse now given the price of fabric and yarn.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
I did alterations for awhile and made a couple of bridesmaids dre should have just given it all back to her and said no. but I learned my lesson I stayed up some nights until 4:30 am and then didn't get a cent from her..never again. I had made 6 brdesmaids and a flower girl dresses a few years ago and had to send muslim patterns all over the USA, but the dresses came out beautiful, because we had the right amt of fabrics. and the fabrics were velvet and satin and still came out beautiful. Wish I could make a living at sewing...sses. One didn't pay me, the alterations weren't too bad, but trying to get a really short fat bridesmaid into the pattern that was one someone had given the bride and purchased the fabric for and there was no way....I had to add insert side seams, it was terrible, I
Fat seems to be a pretty harsh word. . . .
Um, dear, some of us are fat. It is what it is.
Wonder if very thin people mind being called "skinny" - or better yet, "scrawny"?

And to make this fit into the thread -

Any one that has measurements that aren't "average" - has trouble finding clothing that fits well - I would be willing to pay someone to make a decent fitting pattern for me.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM

We do alterations and mending in our rural fabric shop, and we have our own small line of sewn items that we make and retail exclusively in our business, but it’s only about 25% of our living. It’s a good use of our idle time while at the shop, but I doubt that we could make a living by just sewing.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
Originally Posted by lfw045
Hmmmmmmmmm ......don't like the word "fat".......would you prefer fluffy? LOL! I'm pleasingly plump, definitely fluffy, and yep FAT.....truth is truth. Political correctness is crap....JMO.
You forgot 'built for comfort, not for speed'. I also like "I am in shape. Round is a shape". Fat definitely has a negative stigma attached to it. And, people who are know they are. I just prefer that someone not point it out to me in such a way.
I'm just fluffy.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Dee

Been there done that and Never again. Hate when you don't get paid or they think you have robbed them.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM

How shameful to use the words, "Short Fat".
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Originally Posted by Sewfine
I have four children and 12 grandchildren. When I make things for us, I get compliments on them and requests; have not problem. I do alterations and with that money I buy fabric on sale or with coupons. I make stuff for family members, we buy fabric together to ensure they purchase the right kind, they give a generous donation or buy fabric for me to use later. This is a couple of projects I made for my dad, he pays for the fabric. Most of my crochet projects are made will doing personal home sitting. I like the weekend overnight shift. Can get a lot done while they are sleeping.
Your doll and placemats are adorable!
Thank you.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
SewFine, you do lovely work!! The color combinations are well thought out. And that handsome grandson with the crocheted afghan, that is a good color for a guy and well made. I do some crocheting and realize how many hours of work you put in on that.
It's good it will be loved for a lot of years.
And I LOVE that desk set, that is the neatest set I've seen in a long time.
I only make afghans for family members and a few friends as birthday, mothers day, fathers day and Christmas gifts. Yes, there are a lot of hours put into it. Eight grands have afghans before Hurricane Katrina. Four born afterward and all have afghans except two. Work in progress. One grandson decided he did not want a replacement, he wants a saints quilt instead. The yarn was donated to be my several co workers who loved ones has either passed or can no longer crochet. I have a storage tote 19' x 29' depth 18' filled with yard and a medium size one with crochet thread.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
I did alterations for awhile and made a couple of bridesmaids dre should have just given it all back to her and said no. but I learned my lesson I stayed up some nights until 4:30 am and then didn't get a cent from her..never again. I had made 6 brdesmaids and a flower girl dresses a few years ago and had to send muslim patterns all over the USA, but the dresses came out beautiful, because we had the right amt of fabrics. and the fabrics were velvet and satin and still came out beautiful. Wish I could make a living at sewing...sses. One didn't pay me, the alterations weren't too bad, but trying to get a really short fat bridesmaid into the pattern that was one someone had given the bride and purchased the fabric for and there was no way....I had to add insert side seams, it was terrible, I
Fat seems to be a pretty harsh word. . . .
;) ....we should just take a lesson from your dog.... :lol: