Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a living from sewing >

Making a living from sewing

Making a living from sewing

Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
I did alterations for awhile and made a couple of bridesmaids dre should have just given it all back to her and said no. but I learned my lesson I stayed up some nights until 4:30 am and then didn't get a cent from her..never again. I had made 6 brdesmaids and a flower girl dresses a few years ago and had to send muslim patterns all over the USA, but the dresses came out beautiful, because we had the right amt of fabrics. and the fabrics were velvet and satin and still came out beautiful. Wish I could make a living at sewing...sses. One didn't pay me, the alterations weren't too bad, but trying to get a really short fat bridesmaid into the pattern that was one someone had given the bride and purchased the fabric for and there was no way....I had to add insert side seams, it was terrible, I
Fat seems to be a pretty harsh word. . . .
Harsh maybe, but once I was given two second hand size 12 identical dresses to turn into one size 18 for a stoutly brides maid. They would have been better off financially going to Ross or a discount store to begin with.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 AM

I have made Lazy Girls "Town Purse" on order. spent a lot of time looking for material in the color the customer wanted. It was more an "ego" thing than a "money making project". I still make reed baskets that I sell on consignment in a gift shop--usually make enough to buy more supplies and a little "fun" money. You never get rich making crafts.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Have you considered teaching? Mabe a Hand sewing class? This could be on your choice for class,ie: quilting a quilt top, by hand NO Machine work. Basic class on how to cut/sew not just quilt block include how to on aprons,and or other skills of this type???
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 AM

I think you all have given me the right answer just have fun with it. If you can make some extra money great. Thank you so much for the ideas & expert advice.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 AM

I don't make a living from sewing but I do make enough money from it to take a trip up to WA every year to attend the Sew Expo. I've managed to make enough money selling things I've made over the last 5 years to go. Hopefully, that will continue.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM

I did wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses, alterations of such and prom dresses. It became very difficult to do some dresses, because the people buying the fabrics and picking the patterns didn't sew and didn't know what they were looking at. some had no clue what they even wanted. i made one dres by the pattern, had made a muslin base so she could see it, fine, go ahead and make the dress. She hated the sleeves and the neckline, and the length and the fullness of the skirt, didn't want the zipper, wanted buttons, didn't want the buttons wanted the zipper back--- the dress from hell finally left the house and I closed my doors. And these same people want a bargain because you made it, they didn't have to "buy" it.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM

I do make a living sewing as this is my second job.
I make quilts,pillows,table runners and mats as well as other things which I sell at a shop and also out of my home.
I am also make handbags which I sell and finish peoples needlepoint into pillows and such.
It didn't happen overnight but once enough people knew and passed my name about I am now booked for work to do until the end of this year
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

I've been making T-shirt Quilts for about 7 to 8 years now. I make a fair amount of money part time and could do better if I wanted to spend 40+ hours a weeks (which I don't). Even during this horrible economy, I'm amazed at how many people still have the money (250.00 to 600.00) to spend for t-shirt quilts (also memory quilts).
Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 PM

It's been slow for me to find the right niche for me but over the past year, I have been consigning scrub caps and stethoscope covers to a local hospital shop. Not many are willing to accept consignment items and don't seem to want to buy outright so I guess I just got lucky. I do pretty well with that.

People who know me have approached me for memory quilts or baby quilts. I give them a good price but still make some money for my labor.

I also seem to do pretty well with accessory items - wallets, totes, eyeglass cases, phone cases, things like that.

You run into people who want to bargain with you so you have to decide if you want to raise the price a little so you have room to come down in price. That also creates repeat customers because they think they're getting a deal from you as well as referral customers.

You will also run into people who appreciate the work involved in a custom item and will pay a fair price (so they pay the higher price without question). I recently made a bag for a repeat customer and when she picked up her latest bag, she gave me more than I asked.

I don't make a living at this because I'm on disability and can't sew everyday or promote myself as I would like, but it definitely supplements the income (and my fabric addiction). :-)

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions that I might be able to answer.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm ......don't like the word "fat".......would you prefer fluffy? LOL! I'm pleasingly plump, definitely fluffy, and yep FAT.....truth is truth. Political correctness is crap....JMO.