Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a living from sewing >

Making a living from sewing

Making a living from sewing

Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM

I used to make slipcovers and do alterations plus work a
home health care job and I think the sewing only bought the
grocerys for me and the husband plus one daughter. I didn't
khow how to charge.
I found out it is a gift to be able to sew and do it right.
Lots of folks don't know how the thread a needle and they
are the ones willling to pay the price.
But when you love to do something you don't concider that.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM

SewFine, you do lovely work!! The color combinations are well thought out. And that handsome grandson with the crocheted afghan, that is a good color for a guy and well made. I do some crocheting and realize how many hours of work you put in on that.
It's good it will be loved for a lot of years.
And I LOVE that desk set, that is the neatest set I've seen in a long time.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Does anyone here make a living (or just supplemental income) from sewing? If so, what do you make? Thanks.
I have tried several times over the years to make money selling handicrafts (knitting, sewing, quilting, etc.), & I have NEVER made enough of a profit to even want to try again, especially with the price of fabric & yarn.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM

I will do sewing, alterations, mending, making requested projects as asked if I desire. I don't charge; I ask those I service to make a donation to my church which is ever struggling. I do ask to be informed if a donation has been made. Most people do.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM

I make stocks, vests, ties etc for show riders (horses). Check out the web site if you're interested. www.magicbrowbands.com.au
---------------------------------------------------------
What about show shirts? The ones they have now aren't pretty, or at least the last few I've seen, with one side one color and the other a totally different one.
The older Western shirts were popular many years ago, and even then they went for surprising sums. I remember one I looked at but couldn't afford, it was a regular, personally fitted to a female form, blue chambray, with separate and massively curled edges for shoulder/back and front top of breast, wrist and shirt fronts highly embroidered flowers and vines.
With today's machines it would not have to cost many hours of hand work. I still wish that I'd saved up for one of those..and it's been about 50 years since I saw it.
This of course would be an online or very high end boutique sale item.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 AM

I just started with an Etsy shop a few days ago. I also did one commission quilt a couple weeks ago. Enjoy it!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM

I put myself thru college making Prom or bridesmaid dresses, I found out (the hard way) that people will pay for these fancy dresses, but if they want a simple sun dress, they don't want to pay for your time.
I will only replace zippers for my girls, I won't touch men's pants. I will only hem or alter for the girls. People find out that you sew and they expect you to do it for free or a couple of bucks. One time someone from work asked me to "finish" a prom dress her daughter had started. She just cut it out, and the dance was a few days away. No way!!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM

I make quilts for my family. But get commissioned quilts also.I make memory t-shirt quilts. Price varies 200-500. I average 2-5 commissions a year. That's enough for me. Other wise I wouldn't be able to get my own projects done.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Does anyone here make a living (or just supplemental income) from sewing? If so, what do you make? Thanks.
Don't expect to make a living at first. I was in the business for 43 years and many of those years I spent 18 to 20 hrs a day at the machine.I had a very large clientele list plus new clients every day. My biggest problem was not being able to say "no".... I retired and even moved 60 mi. away to end it but people keep finding me...you can run but you can't hide! lol. I raised two grandchildren during these years and I think that kept me sane! Loved every minute of it!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 AM

I have had an alterations business for 35 years. It was nice to work from home on my own time. Did it for some dress shops in the area. It is a nice supplemental income. Hard to make a full time income.