Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a living from sewing >

Making a living from sewing

Making a living from sewing

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 AM

Two friends and I had a small crafting business back in the 80's, little half aprons with pockets filled with clothespin dolls (our biggest seller), boys tool work aprons, stuffed calico cats, gingham dogs and a few other things. Went to craft shows, consignment shops etc. and we each made a few dollars mostly because we already had sewing machines and received lots of donated fabrics. Biggest sales were when our DH's took the items to work. Other gals were stay at home moms and I worked but I couldn't bring sale stuff there.

We stopped for a few reasons, one gal's sewing and interest level wasn't very good, buying fabrics, thread was eating into our meager profits, and I was tired of being sales and delivery person as well as keeping the books. When setting prices people never estimate fully the time and effort they put into making their items as well as the cost of maintening their equipment.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Two friends and I had a small crafting business back in the 80's, little half aprons with pockets filled with clothespin dolls (our biggest seller), boys tool work aprons, stuffed calico cats, gingham dogs and a few other things. Went to craft shows, consignment shops etc. and we each made a few dollars mostly because we already had sewing machines and received lots of donated fabrics. Biggest sales were when our DH's took the items to work. Other gals were stay at home moms and I worked but I couldn't bring sale stuff there.

We stopped for a few reasons, one gal's sewing and interest level wasn't very good, buying fabrics, thread was eating into our meager profits, and I was tired of being sales and delivery person as well as keeping the books. When setting prices people never estimate fully the time and effort they put into making their items as well as the cost of maintening their equipment.
When I first did this back in the early part of 2000, it flopped also. Alfter completing my bachelor's degree in 2010, I started again and doing pretty good. I think it all depends on what area you live in and the demand. I don't look at it as a job; I look at it as getting paid to do what I love too do. I get a kick out of putting a special touch on a project. Like the tissue cover holder; I add vinyl so you could put pictures in it. The pattern does not include this, just a added touch. There is a book by Barbara Wright Sykes entitled, "The Business of Sewing..How to Start, achieve and Maintain Success - Vol 1" it is a good book. She also have several others that I have.

Added vinyl to the tissue cover for pictures
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232762[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232756.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Discuss & get in writing what the customer wants.
Get a deposit/down payment that covers materials used. No money, no work.
Balance due paid on pick-up.
Mileage/travel time extra.

If designing something, get a design deposit and then draw it up. Non-refundable but customer can have design.
If a customer isn't willing to pay any money up front, they aren't serious.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM

ladies! thanks for the heads up! yes I am/was considering =to do this for some added income! so this isn't really worth the time or effort? thanks again ladies for the advice... will look elsewhere for the added income.

how about Ironing??

I am just trying to find something to earn some extra money, not get rich or whatever.
I am a senior citizen so your ideas would be very helpful.
I have put job applications in to various places, so that may be a way I must go.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 AM

I make stocks, vests, ties etc for show riders (horses). Check out the web site if you're interested. www.magicbrowbands.com.au
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey

You stated, "I worked but I couldn't bring sale stuff there." What about making exchanges in the parking lot or meeting at a different location on the way home?"
Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Discuss & get in writing what the customer wants.
Get a deposit/down payment that covers materials used. No money, no work.
Balance due paid on pick-up.
Mileage/travel time extra.

If designing something, get a design deposit and then draw it up. Non-refundable but customer can have design.
If a customer isn't willing to pay any money up front, they aren't serious.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 AM

I did alterations for a couple of years, and what I found was that in most instances you had to remake the garment and they wanted to just "thank you". Besides, they wanted you to make a cheap dress into something that they would be proud to wear for just pennies. Needless to say, I did not make any money and am no longer doing it!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Only if I had a long-arm, otherwise it would take the fun out of it.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Sewing is my stress reliever. If I tried to make a living with it I don't think it would be as much fun. Sometimes you just have to have so relaxation.