Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making a living from sewing >

Making a living from sewing

Making a living from sewing

Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 AM

[quote=katesnanna]DH suggested this to me years ago but I told him "sewing is my pleasure I don't want it to be a job". quote]

I would never make the same $$$ as I do at my day job. I love making and quilting as a hobby and I think if I did it for a living I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I think it may take the fun out of it. I have done quilts for $ but that was for people I don't know. Generally if it's someone I know or for charity my quilts are priceless as my DH says. I'm fortunate to do that.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 AM

Not that I'm good enough to even try with sewing and quilting, but I made that mistake once with photography. It was a hobby I loved and I ruined it for myself by trying to make money at it. Never again!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sewfine
I do simple alterations such as hems, zippers, mend and take of some seams. I also do crafts, aprons, tote bags, crochet and some home decor. Nothing to complicated. Here are some pictures.
I like all of your beautifully crafted works......especially the patriotic bear :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
I do simple alterations such as hems, zippers, mend and take of some seams. I also do crafts, aprons, tote bags, crochet and some home decor. Nothing to complicated. Here are some pictures.
I believe that's the cutest plastic bag holder I have ever seen! I want one!!! LOL!

Donna
It is a simplicity pattern, found under the craft section.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by joym
I like all of your beautifully crafted works......especially the patriotic bear :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM

I don't any more but did for a number of years to supplement my income. I sewed for a little shop in a tourist town and made children's kilts. Darling, easy and boring, but the money was a blessing.

Later, I made canvas covers for futons for a local store. I made crib, twin, double and even some kings. Not hard but hard on my machine. Each had zippers on three sides but that got to be an easy-pesy thing todo. Can you imagine how long a zipper is on three sides of a king? Good money. Paid for my kids athletic shoes, marching band trips and music lessons for a good number of years.

My advice is work for a store or business. I tried the craft show circuit and did not make enough to account for my time and investment in product.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM

I sew but not for personnel income. I sew baby apron bibs and all monies go to "Autism Speaks"
The pattern is my own and everyone loves them. Hope to sew many many more
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232747.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by klc
Nope, I couldn't sew, knit, crochet, etc. for money. Too much time and money goes into creating and not enough profit. Besides, I have too many family members to make for. And, if I did it for money it wouldn't be fun anymore.
Same with me.
I have four children and 12 grandchildren. When I make things for us, I get compliments on them and requests; have not problem. I do alterations and with that money I buy fabric on sale or with coupons. I make stuff for family members, we buy fabric together to ensure they purchase the right kind, they give a generous donation or buy fabric for me to use later. This is a couple of projects I made for my dad, he pays for the fabric. Most of my crochet projects are made will doing personal home sitting. I like the weekend overnight shift. Can get a lot done while they are sleeping.

Place mat with silverware holder for Dad
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232755[/ATTACH]

Bed doll for niece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232756[/ATTACH]

Placemat with silverware holder for Dad
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232749.jpe   attachment-232750.jpe   attachment-232751.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 AM

I don't like to do alterations and if it is beyound what I think I can do and make it acceptable I just tell them it is not something I can do. Have replaced many zippers in mens coveralls and heavy jackets and almost ruined my machine with a coat zipper and said I just couldn't do those anymore. Get lots of hemming jobs and "small mending' I am the only one in our office that sews. Have had some really badly torn things they want repaired and tell them there isn't enough to sew it back together and have at times simply placed fabric under area and zigzagged the heck out of it and they seem OK with that if it was something they really liked. I didn't like the outcome-but when you look at "designer jeans" that look like they have come from the rag bag - what do I know? :lol:
Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by janiesews
I don't like to do alterations and if it is beyound what I think I can do and make it acceptable I just tell them it is not something I can do. Have replaced many zippers in mens coveralls and heavy jackets and almost ruined my machine with a coat zipper and said I just couldn't do those anymore. Get lots of hemming jobs and "small mending' I am the only one in our office that sews. Have had some really badly torn things they want repaired and tell them there isn't enough to sew it back together and have at times simply placed fabric under area and zigzagged the heck out of it and they seem OK with that if it was something they really liked. I didn't like the outcome-but when you look at "designer jeans" that look like they have come from the rag bag - what do I know? :lol:
I am the only one in my office that sews also. I make all my holiday decorations for my office. Get plenty of orders that way also

Christmas Office Decorations
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232759[/ATTACH]

Easter Table Runner with Decorations
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232760[/ATTACH]

More Easter Decoration for my office
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232761[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232753.jpe   attachment-232754.jpe   attachment-232755.jpe