View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 05:02 AM
vickig626

Originally Posted by BRenea
My MIL and I used to do crafts shows. It can be fun but also very frustrating. Some craft shows want you to have a good variety of different items, and some want you to stick to a particular genre of craft. My pet peeve was people looking over our items and saying "I can buy that for $__ at Wal-Mart." :evil: We were going for quality and handmade specialness, not mass-produced crap! Now I do a lot of commissioned work, I personally find it more enjoyable. Good luck in whatever venture you choose!
That's why I've decided to stop craft shows. The general public can't appreciate handcrafted work. And you definitely need to "bite your tongue" when hearing comments like that. That happened to me when I first tried a craft show - a lady couldn't believe I was asking $35 for a pillow (ruffled and home dec fabric). She said why would I pay $35 for a pillow when I can get it at Walmart for $5? I said because in 10 years, my pillow will be in great shape. She just walked away -- yeah, forgot to bite my tongue. :-)