Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Selling Quilts on Etsy or at Craft Shows >

Selling Quilts on Etsy or at Craft Shows

Selling Quilts on Etsy or at Craft Shows

Old 07-28-2011, 03:47 PM

What is a christmas quilted heirloom? Not much of a description, no size listed or what it is. Help
Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 PM

To help draw attention to your work on Etsy you might consider writing a blog with entries weekly. I follow several crafters blogs and they have develped a following of people who are interested in their creative efforts. and happily purchase items that I consider on the high end. Just a suggestion. One sells directly to the public, the other on Etsy and one in England uses both methods for sales.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
I think Artfire has done away with (or will soon) their free option.
Upillar.com is free. I've had lots of lookers, but honestly no sales, however it is entirely free. No listing fees or sales fees, so it costs me nothing to leave my items posted. I figure it can't hurt!
Most of my online sales have been on ebay. I've just rolled everything into the purchase price; the item price, the fees and the shipping.
Another sales forum I use is Facebook. If you have a regular page, you can make a business page too. There is no charge for it, and no fees if anything sells! I have made three sales on Facebook. I find their advertising fees to be very reasonable-IF you choose to use them.
Just another suggestion!
I'm getting mine set up on FB too. And you're right, I've gotten custom work through FB.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by BRenea
My MIL and I used to do crafts shows. It can be fun but also very frustrating. Some craft shows want you to have a good variety of different items, and some want you to stick to a particular genre of craft. My pet peeve was people looking over our items and saying "I can buy that for $__ at Wal-Mart." :evil: We were going for quality and handmade specialness, not mass-produced crap! Now I do a lot of commissioned work, I personally find it more enjoyable. Good luck in whatever venture you choose!
That's why I've decided to stop craft shows. The general public can't appreciate handcrafted work. And you definitely need to "bite your tongue" when hearing comments like that. That happened to me when I first tried a craft show - a lady couldn't believe I was asking $35 for a pillow (ruffled and home dec fabric). She said why would I pay $35 for a pillow when I can get it at Walmart for $5? I said because in 10 years, my pillow will be in great shape. She just walked away -- yeah, forgot to bite my tongue. :-)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 AM

I'm am currently getting back into quilting. I've been thinking about selling my work once I have something made. It's a time factor for me. Along with online venues have you thought about your local flea market? There are a few where you can get a permanent table at an indoor location. Some flea markets are almost like outdoor shopping plazas with the people who are just selling their unwanted stuff on the outside and the more permanent sellers on the inside.

I know in my area there was a gentleman and his wife selling handmade rocking chairs, chests and other wooden furniture. I guess he got a lot of comments about how "I can make this stuff myself" there was a sign by his booth that said, "Of course you can make this yourself but will you?"

Good luck with your venture.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 AM

I used to do some Christmas bazaars, but not any more. My friend told me last year that the people that came took far more pictures of her items to copy, make and sell themselves than bought. The one that took the cake though was the one that was adamant she receive a receipt because she wanted to write her purchase off as a business expense-she was buying it to take it home, tear it apart and make her own to sell. :twisted:
I fear I would not be so diplomatic as her in these situations. I too have responded a bit curtly to the "Oh-I can make that!" After the twentieth time of hearing it, the patience was GONE! :hunf:
Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by katcox
What is a christmas quilted heirloom? Not much of a description, no size listed or what it is. Help
Click on it and you will see the description...all of the information you asked for is there. ;)
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Thank you so much for all of your responses, you have all given me a LOT to think about. I'm not looking to make a fortune either, just a few extra bucks and something to have fun and focus on. I will visit all of the shops that those of you have listed, it may take me a little time - but thank you for your ideas and thoughts!

Oh and I apologize for originally posting this in the wrong section! LOL*
Old 07-30-2011, 04:47 AM

My worse fear at Craft shows is that I hauled my stuff, set up my booth, and if I didn't sell anything (or not enough) I wasted my entire weekend because you really can't do anything but sit there and try to sell stuff. I used to think of all the things I could be doing productively. I wish there was a way to be able to be productive during slow times at Craft shows. That was very hard for me.