Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Selling Quilts on Etsy or at Craft Shows >

Selling Quilts on Etsy or at Craft Shows

Selling Quilts on Etsy or at Craft Shows

Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 AM

I did what you did, when my child was young, I did craft shows for my job. I started out with quilts but they didn't sell, then I made 44" x 72" quillows, the quilts that fold into a pillow and sold about 500 of those. They use to cost about $20 each and sold for $40 with about 1 hour of my time in each. I tied them instead of quilting. This was a time when internet was only ebay and there were people selling little quillows for $5 there. Craft shows can be expensive and if you are serious you need to book the ones you want early in the year since the good ones fill up so fast. I would take the advice here about on line and word of mouth. Get your name out there and maybe book cheap local shows to get your business cards out there.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM

I have an Etsy shop, you need to get your shop noticed, I am always adding other shops to my circle, clicking favorite items, buying alot of my supplies and other items from other Etsy shops. You can also join different teams such as the quiltsy team. Also create treasuries. Adding more items to your shop is also a good idea. I will add you to my circle. Once you start doing that, just watch it get bigger and bigger. I have had some sales not going to get rich but it is fun. Check me out at lovedquilts.etsy.com Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Good Luck :) it's a cold hard work out there lol! I sell on etsy but it took me about 9 months to really start selling. I was selling one item a month and this month about 15. It takes a bit to build up good feedback. With etsy you have to have great pictures and unique items. Something so you stand out from everyone else. Make sure you use all 13 tags. I too checked out similar items prices. And I chose to go a bit lower. I make a bit less money but things are moving. You can always raise the prices after you build up your reputation.

I have heard lots of people have success with Facebook. But then you have to really get your page out there. I started one this weekend.

I have never done a craft show. I am worried about making up so many items and then have the risk that they won't sell. I am a stay at home mom too and it is hard to spend money On something that may not being a profit back.

I have also had some luck on craigslist. But I also live in a very populated area. So the ads do get burried quickly but there is the chance that more people will see them.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 AM

I have also heard that people spend money on things that are under 50.00 bucks pretty easily. Over 50 they really debate on it and have a lot harder time making that big of an impulse buy.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 AM

I have had stuffs on Etsy for over 4 months and nothing has sold so far and I am underpricing things. So dont know if it is worthwhile or not.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 AM

We used to go to crafts shows back in the 90's and my mother did well selling her baby quilts. If you have a good quality product people will buy. I now sell the baby quilts out of my home as I live on a busy highway and do well. Mostly repeat customers. Good luck on your venture.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by HollyInfinite
Oh yeah, you may want to look into Artfire, I believe they are free.

I've never used them before but I know a lot of people are moving their shops from etsy to artfire.
No longer free. They are dumping their Basic accounts in August. You have to sign up for a Pro account, currently at $9.95 a month.

I had an artfire account selling (or should I say NOT selling) various quilted items so I dumped it and am currently with Etsy. Still not selling but I've been told you need to list at least every other day to keep your site close to the front of the line which people search, which I'm not good at doing so I'm sure some of my problem is that. I've also been told I need to have a lot more listed (not sure why). I would think if I see what I want, I don't care if they have a few items there. I do get frustrated /overwhelmed with sites that have tons of pages. I only look at the first few pages if there's no sort / search features.

I seem to be better locally and by word-of-mouth and return / referred customers.

Craft shows? Done that too. For me, just not worth my time and effort to sit at a table for several hours just to have people walk by, say nice things, and keep on walking. It's already been said here -- anything over about $15 won't sell. I'm in MI so craft shows are horrible right now.

One thought which might be pricey to enter -- art fairs. These have the tendency to attract people who can appreciate nice things and understand how much work goes into making them. Quilts might do well if you find the right one.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pokergal3
I have had stuffs on Etsy for over 4 months and nothing has sold so far and I am underpricing things. So dont know if it is worthwhile or not.
I'm kinda with you on this idea. I'm selling my bags locally and have to take them off etsy -- or I get custom orders (want a different color) after they've seen my bags.

One great place to advertise is Facebook. I've gotten several orders in the past month after people stumble on my name / avatar. I have a couple of my totes as my avatar - hey, whatever works!!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Good Luck :) it's a cold hard work out there lol! I sell on etsy but it took me about 9 months to really start selling. I was selling one item a month and this month about 15. It takes a bit to build up good feedback. With etsy you have to have great pictures and unique items. Something so you stand out from everyone else. Make sure you use all 13 tags. I too checked out similar items prices. And I chose to go a bit lower. I make a bit less money but things are moving. You can always raise the prices after you build up your reputation.

I have heard lots of people have success with Facebook. But then you have to really get your page out there. I started one this weekend.

I have never done a craft show. I am worried about making up so many items and then have the risk that they won't sell. I am a stay at home mom too and it is hard to spend money On something that may not being a profit back.

I have also had some luck on craigslist. But I also live in a very populated area. So the ads do get burried quickly but there is the chance that more people will see them.
Just put you in my circle on etsy - love your work !!!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier

Just put you in my circle on etsy - love your work !!!
Thanks! Love the doll clothes! I wish I had a little girl :) Only a little boy.