View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 AM
SugarCookie

Thank you all for your prayers of rain. We are hoping that Don will pay us a visit here in Texas and replenish our dusty earth. At the moment we are in stage 2 water restrictions which means that according to your even or odd house number is your one day to water with sprinklers. Only outdoor watering by hand is being allowed. Here on the farm, we are trying to obey the city rules, but we had a large garden and have livestock to water.
In the 50's, the well went dry and my folks had to take a large tank on a trailer into town and fill it with water. We are hoping never to have to do that again. Here, the ranchers all have stock tanks for their livestock watering, but most of the tanks (ponds) have dried up. The last really good rain we had was last August when the tropical storm came through. Now even the cactus are starting to wither, the rabbits and possum are squeezing into the fenced yard for the dogs' water. We have to remind ourselves to put small dishes of water out and keep them filled for the critters these days. The large Hackberry trees that have been here for as long as I can remember are taking turns turning brown and dying. Yesterday, my husband and I spent the whole day in the heat chainsawing one that was near my greenhouse in anticipation of the coming storm which would have fallen upon it with the heavy winds. The last tropical storm that came through laid over two large trees and punctured our house. We didn't want that to happen again. I don't know if this gives any insight into how it is here, but it is starting to look like a desert.