View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 AM
katier825

Thank you for all the suggestions. The adjuster did calculate money for cleaning, but the policy is actual cash value, not replacement value (NOW I know the difference). So after they take off for depreciation and the deductible, we may come up short. I'm just thinking ahead, haven't arranged for contractors to give estimates yet. I was just looking over what he listed and thought I could put a couple thousand towards the electrical repairs if the contractors give higher estimates than what was allowed. Doesn't it always seem to be that way with insurance companies?

I should have trusted my gut when buying the place. If I had, I would have backed out. I had such a hard time finding insurance because it was over 50 years old and is a rental. Hubby wanted to help the kids out when they were down and out with a child on the way.

The fire was contained to the back of the house with not too much smoke damage anywhere else. Most of what burned and has the water damage will be replaced, but you can smell it in the kitchen and living room. They lost some "stuff", but fortunately there were no injuries. But being a rental, my insurance doesn't cover their stuff or the rent we would have collected. They didn't have rental insurance either.

It's been a pretty stressful time for us all. The house is 3 hours away, so it's not convenient for them to come here. She stays at her mom's tiny place with the kids. He sleeps on a couch at work. A friend who travels alot used his points to give them several nights at a local hotel. Now they need to find temporary housing.