View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
happyscrappy

just looking at the recipes section, never have before . . . hope things have gotten better for you. for something different once in a while, have you ever tried BOCA products before. they make a vegan burger and vegan crumbles. i use the crumbles in chili or taco-type dishes. "animal eaters" can not tell the difference - truly!!! also a company called GARDEIN makes vegan "chicken" products. they're not too bad. my favorite is not totally vegan but it is called QUORN. it is a protein made from a type of mushroom rather than the processed tofu. the quorn nuggets are really yummy with mashed potatoes and gravy! i'm not sure exactly how much dairy is in there, so don't know if you'd want to try them. the mainstream grocery stores sell them here now. otherwise you can get them at a specialty health food store. i don't know if you've been looking since you first posted, but the stores really have ALOT of choices now, at least here they do, surprisingly. even ice cream! i do make most all my own foods from scratch, but don't really use recipes, just make adjustments. like, use applesauce or any homemade fruit sauce in place of eggs, olive oil instead of butter, there are a variety of flours out there. soy flour makes baked goods more moist so i use some of that along with the whole wheat flour. my cakes and cookies are, um, kind of heavy but we like them!! i hope all is well with you, and i will keep positive thoughts sent your way. saw the movie FORKS OVER KNIVES, and i say that should be required viewing for everyone. peace, barb