Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Help - Vegan recipes >

Need Help - Vegan recipes

Need Help - Vegan recipes

Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM

After finishing chemo for cancer in 09 I went on a vegan diet (read the China Study for animal protein/cancer connection if you're interested). My CA-125 level stayed in single digits (that's good. Normal is 33, my high was 660). In June I added dairy and meat occasionally, and in November the cancer was back. Coincidence? I think NOT. So ... I had surgery on 12/15, chemo started 1/3, and I'm back on vegan. The problem is ... and the reason I stopped in June ... I'm bored. I can't find things that feel "substantial" and fill me up. I don't like (but obviously am eating) vegetables.

Do you have any good vegan recipes you'd care to share with me? I appreciate it sooooo much. Thanks!!!

Sharon
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Google Goddess

what does your Dr. say about being on a vegan diet?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
He said it can't hurt as long as I get enough protein from vegetable sources. He was really interested and wondered as I did whether there was a connection. Fact is ... when I did vegan, the cancer stayed away. When I added animal protein, it came back, with a vengeance, acdtually. I'll never be 100% sure, but I am sure that I don't want to have to wonder if I get it a THIRD time without sticking to the vegan diet.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Substituting brown basmatti rice for white is more filling, the same with whole wheat noodles for white flour noodles. Also, try eating less at each meal, but increasing to 5 smaller meals a day. It helps me feel full, but I don't eat as much over all as I did with 3 large meals :D:D:D
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Google Goddess

ok, thanks for letting me know, you take care of yourself

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
Originally Posted by craftybear
He said it can't hurt as long as I get enough protein from vegetable sources. He was really interested and wondered as I did whether there was a connection. Fact is ... when I did vegan, the cancer stayed away. When I added animal protein, it came back, with a vengeance, acdtually. I'll never be 100% sure, but I am sure that I don't want to have to wonder if I get it a THIRD time without sticking to the vegan diet.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
I'm bored. I can't find things that feel "substantial" and fill me up. I don't like (but obviously am eating) vegetables.

Do you have any good vegan recipes you'd care to share with me? I appreciate it sooooo much. Thanks!!!

Sharon
Sharon,
First, may I say how very sorry I am that you are having to deal with this again! I imagine it is very scary to have the cancer return.

But on a happier note, I am on a vegan diet for weight loss, and love it! The Mediteranian Diet ( a large book with recipes and lots of information) is a great reference. There is also a cookbook that goes along with it.

I frequently eat Kashi vegan frozen meals - very easy and tasty. Just follow directions for microwave heating on the box. They do fill me up! If you don't need to worry about eating too many calories, there are lots of frozen "lunches" in our grocery stores here (SW Florida) that I think are wonderful.

I'll try to put together a few specific recipes that I like to send you later today - or at least yet this week. But I really do recommend Kashi frozen meals as an easy, tasty start. Hope your grocer stocks that brand. If not, they may be willing to order some.

Blessings on you - I'll add my prayers for recovery to yours.

Sally
PS Former President Clinton is now on a "plant based" diet and has returned to health through it according to info on the web. I've found I can google Clinton and diet and can find out more about what he eats.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM

My local library had a magazine on vegan cooking. You might check that out. That is a way to get new dishes on a more regular basis.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 AM

I like "Christina Cooks". You can search for her books on Amazon. She used to have a show on PBS.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 AM

I too understand what she means by not feeling full. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I am finding it hard to prepare foods that I can eat. My hangup used to be things like pasta, pizza, nachos. I do like vegetables, but am not quite sure how to season them to keep them from tasting bland.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 AM

I have a great tofu stew I make. It is really easy. I always freeze my tofu first (it is supposed to give it a spongier texture?)

Mediterranean Stew

Large Onion
Garlic
Tofu
Stewed tomatoes
Garbanzo beans
Favorite Barbecue sauce
~ 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
salt to taste

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add drained, cubed tofu and half a bottle of barbecue sauce. Stir well and then add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 20 - 30 minutes and it is ready to eat.

I can my own tomatoes from my garden and I freeze my own chick peas, garbanzo beans. I cook a large pot of dried ones and freeze into smaller portions. You will be able to control what goes in them.

Good luck with treatments!