Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for good Vegan recipes >

Looking for good Vegan recipes

Looking for good Vegan recipes

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

A new vegan here and feeling so much better, not to mention losing almost 70 pounds, but running out of excitement and looking for some new recipes. I do a lot of juicing and salads. Looking for something "different."

I eat mostly raw: seeds, nuts, vegetables, fruit
and whole grains/rice

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

First let me say that is great that you lost almot 70 lbs. I am not vegan, I am a traditional Catholic and NEVER eat meat on Wednesday or Friday all year long. I make a lot of soups. If you want vegan soup recipes let me know I will give them to you. Also some vegans eat eggs and dairy, do you? That will give you more options for food choices.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 AM

I subscribe to the McDougall newsletter which has vegan recipes. Scroll down to the bottom of the letter for the recipes.
Also you can go to the archieves to find more recipes.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/jan/100100.htm
Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 AM

I would like to eat vegan but I can't stand eating beans of any kind I hate them with a passion. How can I replace them in a recipee. I eat a lot of soups and salads, chicken and fish but no beef. I would really enjoy eating more vegetables dishes but they mostly include beans as a substitute for meat. If you have any hints for me, please help
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bourvel
I would like to eat vegan but I can't stand eating beans of any kind I hate them with a passion. How can I replace them in a recipee. I eat a lot of soups and salads, chicken and fish but no beef. I would really enjoy eating more vegetables dishes but they mostly include beans as a substitute for meat. If you have any hints for me, please help
Tofu has no taste of it's own and will take on the flavor of whatever it is mixed with. I don't eat tofu but have you thought of replacing the beans with tofu? You said you hate beans but what about lentiles or split peas? They are a great source or protein. Also is it the taste of the beans or the texture? If it is the texture not the taste you could make hummus which is so good. I don't like the taste of chickpeas so I replace them with navy beans in hummus. Then there is always veggie quiche or veggie frittata, change the cheese and veggies and they taste all together different. Lwt mw know if you want any recipies.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Tofu has no taste of it's own and will take on the flavor of whatever it is mixed with. I don't eat tofu but have you thought of replacing the beans with tofu? You said you hate beans but what about lentiles or split peas? They are a great source or protein. Also is it the taste of the beans or the texture? If it is the texture not the taste you could make hummus which is so good. I don't like the taste of chickpeas so I replace them with navy beans in hummus. Then there is always veggie quiche or veggie frittata, change the cheese and veggies and they taste all together different. Lwt mw know if you want any recipies.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

I can't help you out, I love all meats,fish,chicken,seafood and everything in between.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comfort Food Vegan BLOG!

Yup, here it is and it looks like it has a lot of great recipes!

http://comfortfoodvegan.blogspot.com/

Also, check out the left hand column for vegan links,the 'blog roll'---read recent comments, news stories, archives and labels (categories).
Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach
Thanks for your answer, I like tofu, I didn't think about that. I cannot stand the texture of beans, lentiles and split peas. I made hummus and I like it that's about as far as I will go with these vegies. But tofu, no problem. I also watch my weight as in 2000 I lost some 45 lbs but I now regain 15 and very unhappy about it, I just can't seem to get them off.
If you have any recipees, I'll be glad to try them.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Good to hear that you feel much better!

My favourite vegan cookbooks are by two women named Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. I like them a lot because they don't usually ask for ingredients you cna only find in a health food store.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...arnard&x=0&y=0

I also love "Vegan Planet" http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Planet-I...7045729&sr=1-1

Hope you find lots of nice recipes soon and enjoy the new lifestyle!
Vegans, btw, do not eat eggs or dairy products, but vegetarians do. :)